Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 6 wo just WON'T latch properly!! OUCH!

Default My 6 wo just WON'T latch properly!! OUCH!

I REALLY want to stick with breast feeding but I am SO tired of fighting with my LO to get a proper latch. I HURT! I have tried various positions and he just squirms and makes it difficult. When I keep trying, he just gets more and more agitated and angry to the point of flailing and I end up just letting him latch any way I can and sucking up the pain. Then he'll start clicking and sucking real hard and it hurts so bad sometimes I've yelped!

I've watched videos and taken classes...I just can't get him to latch right! Anyone have any advice??? I don't want to stop breast feeding!
    Mommy to Liam
    8/12/09
    Breastfeeder, co-sleeper, single first time mommy

Default Re: My 6 wo just WON'T latch properly!! OUCH!

Can you go see a lactation consultant? Maybe hands on help would be beneficial.

I'm also pumping as much as possible, I'm just afraid my milk won't keep up with his needs unless I nurse...
    Mommy to Liam
    8/12/09

If you can, call around and find a certified lactation consultant. I found one who worked privately in my area (not through a hospital) and she was a bit pricey for the first visit, but helped me for no additional fee for MONTHS after and helped me with my second baby, too! She was a life saver. Most of them will even come to your house and help get the baby latched. Let us know how it's going!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Definitely see a LC, preferably an IBCLC. Clicking often indicates that the baby is breaking suction for some reason- sometimes to cope with a rapid letdown, sometimes because of a tongue-tie.

Hang in there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yea, he's sliding down to the nipple to nurse...I almost cried it hurt so bad tonight.

Seeing a lctation consultant just isn't feesible for me...I am unemployed and can't afford it...

but thanks for the advice.

Last edited by @llli*liamsmum; September 30th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Mommy to Liam
    8/12/09

sorry to hear it's been so difficult

i do think some in-person help would be advisable - it's so hard to know what's going on without seeing it. you could call LCs and see if they have sliding scale or if they have free clinic hours somewhere, perhaps sponsored by a local hospital or pediatrics practice? if you suspect a tongue-tie at all, a visit to the pediatrician might help, although they are not always familiar with the various types of tongue-tie and how they can affect breastfeeding. they will recognize the classic kind, but there are other varieties that are subtler.

an LLL leader locally may be able to come see you, too, although we are not medically trained - but we may be able to help you on the right track.

how much are you pumping a day? and you're feeding exclusively at the breast and storing the milk, or are you feeding some by bottle, too?
    Rosemary ~ Mama since 2004 & 2007 & LLL Leader

I'm looking into getting some help from someone at the department of health...

some days I pump all day and bottle feed to give my sore nipples a rest. other days i breastfeed all day and only pump in the middle of the night.
    Mommy to Liam
    8/12/09

what is a tongue tie??
    Mommy to Liam
    8/12/09

A tongue tie is a condition where the frenulum- the membrane of skin that connects the underside of the tongue to the floor of the mouth- is unusually short or thick. The short/thick frenulum decreases the ability of the tongue tip to move around.

Here are some links which may be helpful:
    Breastfeeding a Baby with Tongue Tie
    My baby makes a clicking sound when nursing. Is this a problem?

I hate to pressure you about seeing a LC when finances are a problem, but I think it may really be worth it. Maybe think of it as "spend a penny, earn a dollar"? If a visit with the LC allows you to breastfeed successfully, you're going to end up saving the cost of a year's supply of formula: $1500-$2000. You might want to start by contacting your pediatrician- sometimes they have LCs on staff or at least can recommend you to someone who is good. And call your local LCs- you never know, you may be as lucky as I was and find someone who will either not charge, accept payment stretched over time, or payment according to your means.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"