Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions about nursing

Default questions about nursing

my daughter just turned 2 weeks on wednesday and i have a few questions about nursing her. the dr said to try to ween her to where she eats every 3 to 4 hours. she does that a few times a day, but then quickly goes back to wanting to nurse every 2 hours. and when i do nurse her, she only eats for 10 to 15 mins, sometimes less, before she starts crying and wont latch on again or she falls asleep. about how long should she be eating? i read another post on here about OALD and i have a few symptoms incommon with that. can anyone help me on a safe way to ween her feedings and about how long she should be nursing?

Default Re: questions about nursing

Welcome! And congrats on your new baby!
    Honestly, unless there is some reason that I'm missing, I really suggest you not go along with your doctor's suggestion here. At this very young age in particular, you should still feel very comfortable nursing on demand - i.e., whenever your baby shows hunger - and NOT on a schedule. This is important for several reasons -- it will offer the best and most complete nutrition whenever your baby requires it AND it will strongly establish your milk supply to be in synch with your baby's needs. This will actually help even out your supply and may decrease the OALD symptoms. If there is a specific reason that your doctor has suggested feeding on schedule, please elaborate so I can make sure I'm not giving you bad advice!

You might check out this link for some additional guidance on this......http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/LVAprMay98p21NB.html

If your baby is showing discomfort when your milk lets down and the flow may be too intense, you can try letting your babe come off when the letdown happens, let the milk spray into a cloth for a few seconds - massage a little to help this - and then try to relatch and see if she is more comfortable. You can also try varying your position, leaning back somewhat so that your milk kind of has to fight gravity to spray upward towards your daughter - this will decrease the intensity of the flow she feels.

Really, though, give some serious consideration to ignoring that bit of your doc's advice and stick to feeding on demand. I expect you will get lots of support for that method here....it really works well and is the most natural way for you and your baby!
    good luck,
    -linda
    Last edited by jsmom; September 15th, 2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: to add link to LLL info....

thank you so much for your advice!
    during her one week checkup her dr just said that weening her to every 3 to 4 hours now would help get her on a schedule when she gets to be a few months. i was uncomfortable with her suggesting that since i dont know exactly how much she is getting to eat each feeding. i'm glad to know i'm not the only one thats uncomfortable with her suggesting that.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong - especially this early!! - with feeding on demand. It's what LLL suggests and believes in for so many reasons. It's way way too early to worry about schedules... You should also feel proud of your instincts and feel comfortable trusting them! You were right on target with your feelings on this and that's great. That "mommy 6th sense" will come in handy over and over and over.... we each just have to learn to trust our guts a little bit more than we might be used to. Please come back and keep asking questions and keep us posted! Best of luck, and congratulations again!
    -linda

Wow. That's terrible advice from the dr! A newborn needs to be eating at least 8-12 times in 24 hours, and every 3-4 hours would only be 6-8 times! Just follow her cues and feed her when she's hungry; why does your Dr want her on a schedual? I still nurse my 17 mo when he asks, not on any predetermined schedual.

she really didnt give a real reason to start to put her on a schedule. she just said to try to get her to start eating ever 3 to 4 hours basically because it would end up being beneficial to the both of us in the long run for when i guess she gets on a schedule. i dont remember exactly how she put it but that's basically how she put it.

I would just like to quickly reiterate...

Nurse on demand, mama! This is best for you and baby!!!!!!!!!!

Worry about a schedule when they have to go to school - by then they'll have most like weaned themselves!!! LOL

Good luck!

oh - and for the record, I was still "camping out" on the couch when DS was 2 weeks old he nursed and nursed and nursed. That's all I did- really... honestly I have never heard of such a thing as weaning a 2 week old to help future schedules.. yikes...
    Last edited by Number3; September 16th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

sorry I need to pipe in here as well!! My midwife at about this stage said that I should also attempt to put DS on a schedule and not feed him anyless than 2 hours apart. I was completely hearbroken when Erik would scream and cry and I did not seem to be able to fix it. Then I threw her advice out the window and started to feed Erik whenever he wanted!!! Wow did my life change. Instead of a high needs baby I had a happy and relatively content one. Over course I have OALD, but we get along with it really well for a long time now. What was also great was when I went for my first check-up with the pedi and he told me that I should be feeding on demand. That is our job... we are mommas... babies do not need our schedules, we are just so conditioned into a schedule that imagining another is hard for us.

But I guess what I am trying to say is FOLLOW your instincts... follow your LO's cues and with time and patience you will begin to notice patterns in sleeping, in eating, etc. Your baby can and WILL find a schedule, but let her determine it and not some crack-pot doctor. Babies are a lot smarter than we give them credit.... they can do amazing things if you just give them some space and environment to develop as they are designed to...

I hope this helps and you feel more secure!!!

I'll just jump on, too!! I would definitely recommend nursing on demand and even for comfort!!! I nursed my son almost every hour to two hours for a long time....actually some days I still am and he's five months old now. I never watch the clock. I will admit that most days it is just me and him since my other two are in school all day. It's harder to do that when you have others to look after. I believe it makes for better milk production and happier babies, though Good luck!

jschadler -- welcome to the boards, and congratulations on your new baby!

I'm glad to see others have responded quickly to reassure you that nursing on cue is the way to go. I'll just address your other question about how long a baby "should" nurse at each feeding. This varies so much! Babies have different temperaments, and moms have different rates of milk flow, so there is no hard and fast rule that a baby needs to nurse for a minimum of minutes. The best way to gauge whether your baby is getting enough milk is to track her diapers -- you should be seeing at least 5-6 good wet diapers and at least 2-3 dirty diapers in every 24-hour period.

You mentioned that you suspect you may have some OALD symptoms -- I think you'll find many moms here who have dealt with that, so don't hesitate to say more or ask questions on this or any other topic. Congratulations again on your new baby and getting breastfeeding off to a successful start!

--Rebecca