Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vegetable selection is limited

Default vegetable selection is limited

My LO is 7 mos and seems to really like eating food. My problem is that her selection has been pretty limited so far. She eats green beans, sweet potatoes, and sometimes squash. She really like oatmeal and bananas or just plain oatmeal. She seems to turn her nose at the fruit (surprising!) but, I have begun to mix a little with the oatmeal and she is tolerating it.
    What other veggies have you all tried? I would like to avoid carrots and peas for a little while longer, my DH has a severe intestinal allergy to those. I just bought an avacado but, I have no idea how to prepare it for her since I don't like them.
    Suggestions?
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: vegetable selection is limited

for the avocado, just slice it up and give it to her.

are you feeding her these foods pureed or whole?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

all of it pureed except the banana which I can give to her in tiny little semi smooshed chunks. Should I try the same with the avocado? Do I cook it or just give it to her raw?
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

You can just give avocado raw. Just slice it up and hand it to her.
    We also did things like broccoli, squash (butternut, acorn) sweet potatoes, spinach, peas, corn on the cob, raw carrots, cauliflower, eggplant, potatoes.....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Well, I tried slicing it up but, apparently she has really strong gums because she was able to chomp off chunks that she gagged on. So, we put it through the veggie chopper and pureed it. She ate a few bites but, kept making a funny face. I will try some more tomorrow...maybe with a little EBM to thin it out. I don't know why I never thought about the other veggies! We have a great food processor! Thanks for the ideas.
    If I puree stuff on my own, can I freeze it?
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

remember mama, with BLS, gagging is to be expected sometimes, if not completely natural. Choking on the other hand is completely different, but gagging is their way of learning how to get it back out.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, just make the pieces thin enough that they will go down her throat, some people do french fry like slices. That way even if they gag, you know it will always go down with no choking.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Check out this website on making baby food. It also tells you how to store the food as well.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    remember mama, with BLS, gagging is to be expected sometimes, if not completely natural. Choking on the other hand is completely different, but gagging is their way of learning how to get it back out.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, just make the pieces thin enough that they will go down her throat, some people do french fry like slices. That way even if they gag, you know it will always go down with no choking.
    I'm not sure she's doing BLS

But I have to put in my obligatory post - get CPR certified if you're not already... it will be a lifesaver one day.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I know you all will think I'm silly but, no I'm not doing BLS. I just can't get comfortable with it. I figure if I'm a nervous wreck trying to feed her, then she will sense that...it won't be enjoyable for either one of us that way!
    I watch her cues for when she's full...I give her as much "real" food as I can...rice rusks, bananas, etc
    Thanks for the link though on preparing food!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    I'm not sure she's doing BLS

But I have to put in my obligatory post - get CPR certified if you're not already... it will be a lifesaver one day.
    Hmmm...why did I think you were mama? My mistake!

Either way, same goes. Gagging v choking. But like Eme said, CPR certification is a good idea.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel