Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Donating Milk

Default Donating Milk

So, I got the idea to regularly pump extra and store from my cousin. She pumped and stored so she could wean her son at 6 months, but still feed him breastmilk. I liked this idea a lot after first having my daughter because breastfeeding was so exhausting back then. So, production was never my issue, and I quickly accumulated LOTS of pumped milk. We purchased a deep freezer and away we go...

I started work about a month ago and I've been feeding DD the oldest milk first (which is about a month old in deep freeze), but she never eats much. She is not a fan of the bottle. She makes up for missed feedings before and after work with mama and all is well!! However, I pump about 12 to 18 ounces at work, but she only eats between 2 to 6 ounces at babysitter's. I probably have well over 250 ounces in my freezer right now.

I have learned over the past few months after her acid reflux is now under control and she's gotten better at feeding, that I loooooooove breastfeeding her and plan to go at least a year (my initial plan was 6 months). And, since I'm currently overproducing for her and her weight gain is phenomenal, I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with all this milk?

I want to donate it, but I've heard I have to pay to have it tested and so forth. Any suggestions or good resources? I've invested so much time in pumping and money in the storage bags, that I'm hoping I won't have to pay on top. Also, do you have any suggestions before I donate my whole prize?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: Donating Milk

I have a couple of links in my siggy, I have donated through both organizations. HMBANA really is great, I definitely recommend calling whichever of their milkbanks is the closest.

ETA: HMBANA paid for all testing and sent bags. They are a non-profit organization as well. I think there are some shady milkbanks out there.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Milkshare is a really easy way to donate as well. You can try to donate locally if you don't want to ship the milk.

That's great that you are continuing to nurse and are enjoying it. Congrats on making enough milk to share. What a wonderful gift.

I'm in the process of becoming a donor at a HMBANA milk bank.

They pay for all testing and provide supplies.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Just wanted to say... I think it is AWESOME that you are considering donating your milk. Just a word of caution, though... this might sound mean or selfish , but be careful about donating TOO much milk. While your supply right now is doing great, you never know what will happen to your supply over the coming months, or your DD may start drinking more milk at daycare, and you may wish you hadn't donated quite so much milk and still had that back-up of liquid gold in the freezer.

Hope nobody hates me for saying that, but I would have given my right arm to have that kind of back-up in the freezer when I was nursing my DD and couldn't pump enough to meet her needs at daycare.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    be careful about donating TOO much milk

The milk bank I'll be donating to very clearly says that your own baby is the priority for your milk.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I donate to a really awesome family through milkshare. The mama had to stop nursing because she was diagonosed with breast cancer and is undergoing cancer treatment. Their little guy did really bad on formula, and they had been paying three dollars an ounce for breastmilk through one of the banks. The family paid for all the testing they wanted, and supply the bags and cooler, and pay for the dry ice to ship it. FedEx comes right to my door to pick up the milk. all I have to do is call and tell them to come get it.

Hello!
    My baby is 13 months and he has been allergic of everything so yes I was a very careful eater. He is now weaned and I would like to continue to Pump and donate my milk to needy babies. Where do I find out more about milkshare? I'm in the DC/MD area
    Thank you

Unfortunately, most milk banks won't accept milk if your baby is over a year old. Milkshare might work differently though - I am not familiar with them.