Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My son isn't pooping...

Default My son isn't pooping...

He's 100% breast fed. We've already spoken to our son's doctor about this and she says there's nothing wrong as long as the BMs he does have aren't hard and he doesn't seem distressed.

He goes quite a while without pooping, sometimes more than a week.

He's almost three months old. He wets plenty of diapers and he's gassy, but no actual poop. Sometimes a little skid-mark, but that's all.

The doctor seems to know what she's talking about most of the time, but we're concerned that this might not be one of those times.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do we need to switch doctors?

He doesn't seem bloated or upset but it's a little concerning to say the least.

Default Re: My son isn't pooping...

Very often breastfed babies will go longer stretches between poo's. Their body uses all of the nutrients from the breast milk so there is less waste to get rid of. If he is content and his poo's are not hard when he goes, I would assume he is fine and you have nothing to worry about. I think your pediatrician is right...it sounds normal.
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Your Dr is right. It's perfectly normal for a bf baby to go long periods, even a week or longer, between poops.

Just agreeing with the previous posters.... as long as your LO seems comfortable and the stools that are being produced aren't rock hard and painful to expell, it al sounds OK.
    -linda

don't worry...you're not the only one with a baby who doesn't poop everyday!
    i use to worry when my dd was only 3 weeks old and she had pooped only once that week. well, dd is now 4 months old and she still poops once a week...twice if we're lucky! she is also very gassy...and i've recently noticed that she is VERY gassy the day before she's about to poop! although she's never gone more than 7 days between her bowel movements, all EBF babies are different...and as long as your ds has normal breastfed baby poop, you shouldn't worry!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

My son is 8months old an I haven't seen any poop since Mon.

my ds is only 11 days old and we don't like ever have poop. since leaving the hospital at two days old we have only had 2 poops and some skid marks in between. Our ped said the same thing; no pain and not hard then he is fine. I still worry too but it doesn't seem to be bothering him!

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My DS is about the same age, and for several, several weeks we've also been in a pattern that goes like this:

No poop for 6-8 days. (some skid marks)
    One massive poop, maybe two on the day the poop finally comes.
    Large to medium poops for 2 or 3 more days.
    Repeat.

This is my third child, and I can tell you that the poo patterns of all three of my kids were totally different from each other... as different as their personalities and hair color! But, DS is very happy, gaining well, having normal-looking poop when he does finally go, so I'd say there isn't a problem.

My oldest would often go 10 days between poops, and now, as a preschooler, I can tell you that he's the most regular person in the whole family. Go figure.

my sons 6 wks he goes long periods LC says he is using all nutirients in the bm and it has little waste. he farts tons usually before having a good poop. he hasnt pooped since sunday.