Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is she getting enough?

Question Is she getting enough?

My DD is almost 14 months. I nurse her once in the morning then again in the evening. She only nurses about 3 minutes on each side. But sounds like she is getting some wonderful swallows in...and a nice big burb afterwards. In the afternoon, she does get a 7oz bottle of formula. Does this sound like enough milk? She does get water or diluted juice with her meals. She refuses to drink formula out of a sippy or straw cup, thus she only gets it once a day.

She does well with yogurt and cheese, but when we tried to intoduce whole milk twice in July, at 12 months, she started to vomit. So we are not trying cows milk for a few more months.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Default Re: Is she getting enough?

It's great you are still nursing your 14 month old. I'm no expert on nutrition, but it sounds to me like your toddler is getting enough milk. Children know what they need. If she's refusing drinking more formula other than the 7oz. bottle you are giving her, I'm sure she's telling you she's had enough. Babies and toddlers can drink a lot of breastmilk during the day and night, but other forms of milk seem to fill there tummies a lot faster. Breastmilk is digested very quickly so they need to nurse more often to feel satisfied. You can also offer your breastmilk to your toddler more often as well if you are still concerned. Health Canada and the World Health Organization recommend breastfeeding for two years or more, or as long as the mother and baby want to continue.

My daughter is 19 months old and she nurses quite often during the day and night. I don't like giving her cow's milk for a variety of reasons, but I do give her almond milk (vanilla and chocolate flavours). It also contains calcium, protein and many other nutrients like cow's milk. Rice milk is also great for toddlers as well. You may want to try offering her other milk products besides cow's milk and see if she likes it. Be patient though, new tastes can take a while for toddlers to accept.

If you are unsure about how much of any particular food your child needs, check out Canada's Food Guide on www.hc-sc.gc.ca. On the Health Canada website, children's aged 2-3 only need 2-3 servings of milk and alternatives so it looks like your daughter is getting what she needs. Trust that your child will let you know what she needs and then listen!