Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TB shot and breastfeeding?

Default TB shot and breastfeeding?

I am starting a new job and on Friday I am supposed to be getting a TB shot, does anyone know if it is ok while breastfeeding?

Default Re: TB shot and breastfeeding?

Are you getting a TB test? Or TB vax?

TB vax

Are you sure it's a vax? They don't usually give those in the U.S. because it's not recognized as 100% effective in this country. It's possible that it's a Mantoux test. They do those quite often when someone starts a new job.
    Kerri - Mama to 3 fabulous little dudes!

Luke 2/1/01 ~ Didn't attempt to BF
    Jack 2/11/06 ~ BF attempt unsuccessful
    Toby 7/13/09 ~ BFing since day one!

Yeah - I'm gonna bet it's the test... it's considered compatable with breastfeeding - I'll be right back with a reference.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I know a Mantoux is ok with pregnancy, so I am willing to bet it's ok with BFing as well.

Oops, just re-read your post. You already knew that.

I'm pretty sure it's the vax as I will be working in the health field and there's a high probability that the individuals I am working with have been exposed to TB. I had to get it when I worked with developmentally disabled persons quite a few years ago and this is a similar situation. Everything I've found is that vaccinations are thought to be ok with breastfeeding but I didn't find anything specifically on TB. Fri morning I will ask the nurse practioner more about it. Thanks though!

I've been working in the healthcare field for 17 years. Each new job required a mantoux, as did nursing school. The only people I have seen have the vax are immigrants. They do give it in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momto3guys View Post
    I've been working in the healthcare field for 17 years. Each new job required a mantoux, as did nursing school. The only people I have seen have the vax are immigrants. They do give it in other countries.
    Is the mantoux required at least every 10 years? Because they asked if I had had the TB shot in the last 10 years, I was pretty sure I got one at my last job(7 years ago) but I couldn't remember for sure. If it is the mantoux I have no worries I guess! Maybe I just had the test at my last job, I can't remember, it's been too long and I've had 3 kids since then!