Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much solids do you feed your 1 year old?

Default How much solids do you feed your 1 year old?

Hello,

My DD just turned 1 and I'm interested in weaning her slowly. I don't want to cause her any distress, but am planning on introducing more solids as time goes on, given she is amenable to it.
    So far we eat 3tblspns of iron fortified oatmeal in the morning, about 1/2 a scrambled egg and maybe some fruit or something else for lunch, then maybe 4oz of yogurt, some cut up cheese or other finger food in the afternoon. She is T-I-N-Y for her age so it's hard for me to gauge whether she is eating her fill or if maybe she's just not that interested in what I'm giving her. It seems like other kids her age are eating more solids who are also on the road to weaning.
    Can anybody tell me what they're feeding their one year old? I BF in the morning, before both of her naps and before bed. I try to distract her when she wants to eat at other times, but if she's insistent I go ahead and let her snack. I used to let her snack all day, but trying to slightly limit it now that I'm weaning.
    for 1 year so far! Woot!

Default Re: How much solids do you feed your 1 year old?

When she wants to snack, she literally stays on the breast for about 10-15 seconds. It's not really about nutrition. She's a busy girl and has never been one to stay on the boob for long. The reason I feed her mostly before she goes to bed is so I can get a full feeding. I fully intend to keep BM as the mainstay of her diet, but am looking for folks who can give me an idea of how much solids they give their child.
    for 1 year so far! Woot!

Hi!

My daughter will be 14 months old at the end of the month. She is a very picky eater and got a late start on solids at 10 months. Before that she was exclusively BF. It wasn't until she was about 12 months old and started daycare when she began to eat more solids.

The general rule is: 1 ounce of food from each food group for every year of age.
    For example (and remember that this is IDEALLY), a good meal for her might be 1 ounce of cheese, 1 ounce of banana, 1 ounce of crackers (or some other starch) with 1 ounce of nut butter for protein OR 1 ounce of diced chicken/meat, and 1 ounce of any vegetable she likes.

This has always seemed like a big meal for a 1 year old to me, but my daughter is not as big of an eater as other kids (at least that's what my family tells me). She drinks whole milk at daycare, not breast milk, and she has been gaining weight well and is very happy and healthy.

Hope this helps a little!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Addy is 12 months. She's getting going slowly with the solids. I've learned that I really need to not compare how much and what she eats to other babies her age. I offer her a wide variety of foods 4x per day and whenever she signs food. Some days she refuses most of her meals and other days she eats a lot. She acts differently when she's distracted and when she just doesn't want to eat anything. When she doesn't want to eat, she shakes her head no and pushes the food away. If she's distracted, she ignores me and then a little later will eat. I've noticed that she won't eat if she's sleepy, so I try to feed her when she's feeling energetic. If I were you, I'd wait until she's eating a lot of solids and is growing well before I thought about weaning.

[QUOTE=@llli*tspeegle09;802771]Hi!

My daughter will be 14 months old at the end of the month. She is a very picky eater and got a late start on solids at 10 months. Before that she was exclusively BF. It wasn't until she was about 12 months old and started daycare when she began to eat more solids.

The general rule is: 1 ounce of food from each food group for every year of age.
    For example (and remember that this is IDEALLY), a good meal for her might be 1 ounce of cheese, 1 ounce of banana, 1 ounce of crackers (or some other starch) with 1 ounce of nut butter for protein OR 1 ounce of diced chicken/meat, and 1 ounce of any vegetable she likes.

---------------

Thank you! That is so helpful! The recommended daily servings list food for 12-24 month olds, which I think is a huge difference in age and food intake, and this breakdown above sounds like it makes much more sense. I'm not in a big hurry to wean, but when I BF her more, I can tell it's more for comfort and it leads to her not being interested in the solids as much, so it's important for me to have a balance of solids and BM.
    for 1 year so far! Woot!

Great advice from the PPs. I just want to point out that healthy toddlers' food intake can really vary, with some kids eating entire well-balanced meals and others barely eating a teaspoon or two of solids per day. My kid was the latter type. So if your kid isn't eating the "ideal" amount of solids, don't let it stress you out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Great advice from the PPs. I just want to point out that healthy toddlers' food intake can really vary, with some kids eating entire well-balanced meals and others barely eating a teaspoon or two of solids per day. My kid was the latter type. So if your kid isn't eating the "ideal" amount of solids, don't let it stress you out.

My girl is one now and she is on the teaspoon of solids diet. Unless the food you give her is chedder bunnies. Then she can't stuff them in her mouth fast enough. Even then she probably eats less than an ounce of them. Hardly a balanced diet - thank goodness for nursing!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My lo is 14 months and eats solid foods but hardly a balanced diet. But she's healthy and growing fine so I'm just glad she is still nursing for most of her nutrition. I can basically name all the foods she is willing to eat....green beans, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, string cheese, crackers, toast, cheerios, tortilla chips, pretzels, pizza, yogurt. And of course ice cream as an occasional treat. Yeah I think that's about it. I just keep offering and figure she will eat when she is ready.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*itskristen View Post
    Hello,

I try to distract her when she wants to eat at other times, but if she's insistent I go ahead and let her snack. I used to let her snack all day, but trying to slightly limit it now that I'm weaning.
    What do you mean here? You distract her from 'snack' nursing or snacking on solids?

I also just wanted to point out that my lo went through this phase between 12-15 mo. - she didn't seem interested in nursing at all and I thought she was weaning. but around 15 mo. she settled in to three great nursing sessions a day. (which I ). also, twice so far this fall she has had a virus - and nursed ALL NIGHT LONG while sick/teething. The weeks that she had the virus she refused all other food/liquids. So, I was very grateful to still be nursing her. She LOVES solids - but I am still letting her nurse whenever she wants so that especially when she's not feeling well, the option is there. Just my 2 cents.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!