Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing solid when baby has food sensitivities from breast milk...how?

Default Introducing solid when baby has food sensitivities from breast milk...how?

I will be starting to introduce solids for my baby next week, as my DS will be 6 months old. He has had blood in his stool since he was 2 months old and we still have blood issues at this time. I am off dairy, soy and am coming off the 8 top allergens this week (haven't started yet). My question is when you start introducing solids how do you know if your LO is reacting to it. The blood has never stopped so how can you tell? Does it cause other symptoms? I am just not sure what to look for other than the blood and sometimes mucous.

How do you introduce the foods? I was told by someone to introduce rice cereal and then skip right away to fruits, veggies and chicken instead of introducing barley and oatmeal cereal. Do you wait more than the normal three day period in between new food? I never had allergies with my daughter and did the normal introduction of food so I am confused as to what to do.

Mama to

Kaylee born July 5, 2006
    9lbs 4 oz and 20.5 inches
    42 lbs and 41.5 inches at 38 months
    for 12 months

Jacob born April 9, 2009
    8lbs 10oz and 21 inches
    15lbs 7.7oz and 27 inches at 20 weeks
    17lbs 4.5oz and 27.6 inches at 6 months
    19lbs 14oz and 29.3 inches at 9 months
    and

Presently off dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, treenuts, shellfish, eggs, corn, gluten and rice .

Reacting to dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, corn, rice and maybe gluten.

Default Re: Introducing solid when baby has food sensitivities from breast milk...how?

I think this question is great question for your babies physician. That would concern me that he has bloody stools this long. I would discuss this with a doc. Personally, I would not give any solids till the stools are not bloody. There would be no way to know if it was something you ate or your baby.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Default Re: Introducing solid when baby has food sensitivities from breast milk...how?

I was told by a pediatric dietitian to introduce food even though there is blood in the stool. She said there are babies that have bloody stools until they are a year old and then they grow out of the sensitivity that is causing it. It is being caused by something that I am eating but still not sure what. I am now off soy and dairy and am going totally top 8 allergen free this week. What I am wondering about is how other mothers dealt with introducing the food while there was still sensitivity to some food in the breast milk. I am not seeing my doctor for another little while and baby is due to start solid.
    Last edited by @llli*kayleejacobmama; October 1st, 2009 at 09:24 AM.

Mama to

Kaylee born July 5, 2006
    9lbs 4 oz and 20.5 inches
    42 lbs and 41.5 inches at 38 months
    for 12 months

Jacob born April 9, 2009
    8lbs 10oz and 21 inches
    15lbs 7.7oz and 27 inches at 20 weeks
    17lbs 4.5oz and 27.6 inches at 6 months
    19lbs 14oz and 29.3 inches at 9 months
    and

Presently off dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, treenuts, shellfish, eggs, corn, gluten and rice .

Reacting to dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, corn, rice and maybe gluten.

check out the scale at the bottom of that thread.

The Joneja Food Allergen Scale

We followed the list Andrea gave a link to above

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.