Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yet Another Lipase Question

Default Yet Another Lipase Question

I've read a lot of the sticky on lipase, but had a couple of quick questions...

1. Can milk that is affected by lipase smell perfectly good but taste bad at the same time...or do the two usually go hand in hand?

2. I tasted my thawed, frozen milk for the first time this morning. It was not sweet like the fresh milk, didn't taste sour, but didn't taste great either. Can anyone describe what normal thawed, frozen milk tastes like? I know, it's probably hard to describe.

My DD isn't refusing it, I'm just one of those paranoid mamas and for some reason can't stop worrying whether I have lipase issues or not! Thank you ladies!

Default Re: Yet Another Lipase Question

My milk does not smell bad or off or anything. It smells fine. But it tastes really gross! Like make-you-puke gross. Normal milk tastes sweet and has a sweetish aftertaste. My milk has a very bad-tasting aftertaste. Some mamas describe it as soapy. Some describe it as metallic. I'm sure some other mamas will chime in here with their experiences.

If your LO isn't refusing it, don't look for trouble!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If your LO isn't refusing it, don't look for trouble!
    WSS - very wise words!

My EBM smelled and tasted gross after a couple of days in the fridge or a week or so in the freezer.

After I scalded to stop the lipase enzyme action stored EBM tasted / smelled sweet.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you for the responses!

My thawed, frozen milk definitely has a different taste than my fresh milk. It's sweet, but doesn't have a sweet aftertaste and seems stronger. It doesn't make me gag, but I certainly wouldn't want to sip it repeatedly. I guess if my DD isn't refusing it (knock on wood), I will let sleeping dogs lie. I think if it were affected by lipase, it would be obvious? Taste nasty? Sour?