Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids advice plz

Default solids advice plz

reposting in correct forum!

My DS who is six months has been showing signs that he is developmentally ready to experiment with solids, I am looking to do baby led solids and in no way am i looking to wean, purely to experiment . I am thinking ahead to when i go back to work he will be with MIL and i dont want her stuffing solids down him esp family history of allergy ( realistically am looking to hold off for another month to make sure growth spurt etc isnt an issue), my question is when offering solids if he refuses pumped milk when with her should she offer him his solids or hold off and encourage him to have milk or let him reverse cycle. I dont want her accusing me of asking her to starve him so need info so am well informed and ready for her. Can others advice

Thanks in advance

Default Re: solids advice plz

Until about a year, I would have her offer pumped milk first and then solids. I wouldn't even show him solids until after his milk. However, if for some reason that doesn't work, and he refuses to drink milk while away from you, you certainly can offer a few solids throughout the day and reverse cycle (just make sure your MIL doesn't offer him too much, ya know?) Just remind her that breastmilk is enough for baby for the first year, and that solids are for experimentation. Breastmilk is very calorie dense and offer MUCH more than any solid could.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: solids advice plz

with PP. Also, make sure you offer solids AFTER he has nursed and when he's not fussy or tired. I started BLS this past weekend and have only offered it 2 times. Good luck!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold