Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Solids Thread: What Have You Tried? How Old Is Your LO?

Default Re: Solids Thread: What Have You Tried? How Old Is Your LO?

Yeah, I think I'm going for the whole egg this weekend.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

DH started DD on whole eggs at about 9 months. He was so used to feeding her off his plate, that he just absentmindedly gave her some scrambled eggs. I walked into the kitchen and saw her eating them. His response, "they're soft, what's the problem?" I asked her pediatrician about whole eggs, since she had a regular check-up the next day. She said it was really up to us to decide. Some advocate waiting until 12 months to start egg whites, other allergists say anytime after starting solids since newer studies don't show a correlation between age of exposure and allergies.

We did scrambled eggs over the weekend. I do not think any were eaten, but she made the funniest yuck faces while touching them.

She really does love the sweet potato puree. There was some left from the sitter's house, so I gave it to her over the weekend and she was lunging at the spoon to get more. So funny.

We gave her a chunk of cucumber last night and she actually ate some.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I have the BEST pictures of Jack holding a cucumber and making hilarious faces at it. They are similar to the ones my dad and brother make when given them, as well.

Since Jack is a skinny, tiny dude, and they are worried about him, I have been feeding him, and letting him do a little himself. We have tried, banana, avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash, cantaloupe, apples, and maybe even a small piece of cheese .

The nutritionist also said to put some butter in his purees to try and add some weight on him. I hate doing it, but, I am desperate to fatten him up. Oh, she also had us give him some Lorna Doone cookies. Those mostly get eaten by Mommy though.
    I'm Sarah. Mom to Emily (1/27/05) and Jack (12/29/10)
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

Sarah, don't some people coo with coconut oil for extra calories? That's kinda healthy, right?

So I was going to sit down to dinner with Connor on my lap, and he snatched a piece of steak right of my plate! He proceeded to eat it as best as he could. At one point he had meat in both hands and drippings running down his front. He looked like a little caveman! If only I got a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Susan, can your cleft team give you that list?

I think I will bake some sweet potato fries this weekend and give Trixie one.
    No, they had no idea what I was talking about. Apparently that's some information going around cleft groups, but nobody has a real list.

Do the fries. Gav did like those last night.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Mr. X just turned 8 months. He had sugar snap peas today and loved them! I was shocked because he hates most foods. Actually he likes food in so far as smashing it in his fists; he does hate eating it though. I only gave him the pods thinking he could play with them while I ate lunch. He gnawed the end of the pea pod and actually ate a good bit of it. He even tried to eat one of the little peas that fell out (after playing with it for awhile). Unfortunately they are pretty small, so I had to swap out pods pretty frequently as the gnawed pods got too short.

I need to keep an eye on this thread; X gets bored with food (among other things) very quickly, so I need lots of ideas for new things to try. How long does everyone wait to offer whatever you happen to be eating (aside from raw/unseasoned fruits and veggies, of course)? X seems interested, but I worry about seasonings. I use lots of fresh herbs, spices, olive oil, broths, cream occasionally, etc. when I cook, and it seems like I should be concerned about these things.

Did you cook the sugar snap pea phi?

I'm way more laid back about everything this time. I haven't been waiting three days between introductions. And since she always tries to swipe things off my plate, I'm guessing I'm just going to stop blocking her pretty soon unless it's super spicey.

I'm ok with her eating the purees at the sitter because maybe I could pump a little less during the day and she could just make up the milk at night.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahandjack View Post
    I have the BEST pictures of Jack holding a cucumber and making hilarious faces at it. They are similar to the ones my dad and brother make when given them, as well.
    So cute.

Sarah, there are some threads around about fattening babies up... I might get a second opinion first, if I were you, but olive oil is not a bad choice.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I gave up the waiting thing after my first baby too I just offer. If there's a problem, I'll figure it out later.

I am angry about something though...We went to the grocery store yesterday, and I always walk through the organic baby food aisle, even though I rarely buy anything, just to see what is new. This store even sells gDiapers (!) and it's a big mainstream East Coast store. So the selection is generally pretty good. There were these new packets, and I thought, hmmm. That might be useful. It feels like chopped up dried apples, and I like the size; so even though it's expensive, it might be useful, so I'll get one and try it.

Opened it this morning, just to see if Gav likes it, and it's freaking CANDY-LIKE. Like gummy candy It tastes like candy. The other kids loved them.

Granted, better for them than candy, but WHY?!?!

http://www.buddyfruits.com/

I should have really read the label, but that was about the time Colton knocked down the second display
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!