Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Solids Thread: What Have You Tried? How Old Is Your LO?

Default Re: Solids Thread: What Have You Tried? How Old Is Your LO?

Muh babe can swallow!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!

Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Bump

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thought I would resurrect this for a new crop of babies.

We have given Trixie pieces of peaches - sour face, but sucks the juice out of them, cucumbers - liked them, and canteloupe - screamed and screamed (??), but may have been tired. She's probably not ingested a tablespoon of solids so far in two weeks.

Oh - and she managed to drink water out of her big sister's straw cup by accident yesterday. Not a solid, but not my milk...

ETA: Oh, and banana. She squished it through her fingers and put it in her mouth with a yuck face.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Gav's not interested in anything. I let him suck at an apple. Not interested. A slice of squash. Nope. Watermelon. Yuck. Snap pea to suck lasted the longest (and was the source of a puddle of drool in his lap!). I have been giving him cups of water to try to get him to use a cup (both sippy and open), but he either doesn't like the cups or doesn't want water, but BM didn't go over any better.

I need to find a list of acidic foods. Apparently, when an acidic food goes up into the cleft, many babies start refusing solids. I didn't know bananas are high acid. So, where's such a list?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, can your cleft team give you that list?

Apparently the sweet potato puree was not a hit yesterday. I am not interesting in the feeding of purees, but DH and M (DCP) are, so I will let them handle that. Baby just held it in her mouth and then spit it out.

I think I will bake some sweet potato fries this weekend and give Trixie one.
    Tracie

Mommy to

This is a cool thread! My "Random BLS Rambles" thread died

Yesterday, Connor ate a whole banana, BLS-style I gave him half at first and he finished it, so I gave him the rest as recommended by Gill Rapley. I was amazed.

He's had a ton of other stuff, mostly what we have or cut up fruit. My parents were very skeptical, but I was NOT going to let them mess this up! Now they are amazed at his mad skillz

Lillian is currently 9.5 months, and I'm taking a hybrid approach - so some self-feeding, some soft foods given by me. Usually both things are going on at once during meals

She'll take most things so far. She LOVES toast fingers with non-dairy/non-soy margarine, and she's getting pretty good at cramming the whole thing down in the space of about 2 minutes these days. Peaches are also a huge hit. Huge, I say.

I basically give her some of whatever I'm eating. If it's soft and grab-able, she self feeds it. If not, then I'll give it a little pre-chew before she gets it. All sorts of stuff has gone over ok so far - scrambled eggs, butternut squash, teff porridge, hummus, ham, avocado, chicken, beef, carrots, cauliflower, mango, apples, a few bites of sardines, sweet potato, etc. I'm really trying to appreciate what I suspect are the nice days of baby exploration before The Picky actually starts setting in

She's still not really a big eater, though. I'd say she's eating about 1/4-1/2 cup of food a day, usually on the low to middle end of that.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

LO will be 10 months old on the 1st, he has tried the following:

avocado
    sweet potatoes
    bananas
    prunes
    pears
    peaches
    peas
    summer squash
    green beans
    potatoes
    chicken
    venison burger - hunted, cleaned and ground by Me and DH!
    beef burger
    turkey
    toast
    whitefish
    corn (kernals and on the cob)
    scrambled eggs
    watermelon
    plain yogurt (never again, he hated it)
    cheerios
    cantalope
    cucumbers
    rice
    grapes
    cinnamon rolls (thanks Grandpa)
    applesauce
    ham
    cheese
    carrots

Gerber puffs (have to hide them as he knows what the container looks like and will throw a royal fit if he doesn't get any!)

everything has been table foods except for the prunes - they are a puree. have some lentils that I am going to cook up this weekend and try them out! This kid loves food - it really is kind of amazing.

When is it ok to give them scrambled eggs? I can't remember.

katia - that's amazing, an entire banana!!

firefly - 1/4 to 1/2 cup is a huge amount of solids to eat. Lilah didn't eat that amount until she was around 15 months old.

lb - wow! that's great! Have you thought about mixing the yogurt with some fruit? Maybe he would like it better?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Wink Re: Solids Thread: What Have You Tried? How Old Is Your LO?

mommytolilah,

we have mixed the yogurt with fruit - he takes it better, but it is still not his favorite. we tried just plain yogurt first, was the most disgusted face I had ever seen - albeit pretty darn funny! he would not take ANYTHING off of a spoon for several days, which I didn't mind since I like seeing him feed himself! when it comes to the eggs - I have read no egg whites until 1 year - yolks are fine. personally I just gave him the whole scrambled eggs - no reaction so he gets them when we do. I think he was about 8 1/2 months when we first tried them - my SIL about had a heart attack when she saw him eating them, but as I told her, our choice, not hers.