Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Solids Thread: What Have You Tried? How Old Is Your LO?

Default Re: Solids Thread: What Have You Tried? How Old Is Your LO?

My LO is 6.5 months now and probably about 98% breastmilk fed. We have only just started on the weaning, and there are issues regarding oesophageal suture scars and dysmotility which menas we have to take it slowly to prevent choking. So far we have tried (and loved) parsnip, potato, sweet potato, BANANA!!!!, avocado spirulina, stewed apricots, stewed apple and hot-water oatmeal with prunes. These are all pureed and thinned with bm to help with the swallowing but hopefully we will be able to introduce lumps before too soon. Other than courgette and broccoli though, nothing seems to have been too icky or difficult to digest.

I do let LO play with the spoon and bowl to help with the motor skills - the whole bls thing i not the way we can go, unfortunately - my MIL did try bits of apple and there was a rather nasty choking incident when a bit was gummed off and lodged at the top of LO's throat

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I thought (didn't say) geez girl, you can't keep a slow crawling 7 month old with socks on his hands from stealing your toast? what's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bully.rhiannon View Post
    DD is 8 mo. old today. We have tried:

Rice Cereal, Carrots, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Pears, Apples, Mangoes, Avocadoes, String Cheese, Bananas, Green Beans, Peas, Zucchini (horrible diarrhea, ewww), Peaches, Nectarines, a piece of my wheat pita, and I don't know what else LOL. I make her food at home, so she has gotten a lot of summer fruits which are now frozen. I just bought an eggplant yesterday, so I'll be trying that soon. I also got some different cheese yesterday and I think I'm going to give her some cheerios in a little while and I'm nervous because it is a processed food - what a nut I am...it's just that I have made everything else pretty much, so I control what is in it
    How did you do string cheese? Not that I can, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*watermaiden View Post
    I do let LO play with the spoon and bowl to help with the motor skills - the whole bls thing i not the way we can go, unfortunately - my MIL did try bits of apple and there was a rather nasty choking incident when a bit was gummed off and lodged at the top of LO's throat
    That must have been scary mama.

What should I try next ladies?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

We tried broccoli today
    DS totally disliked, no choking but a lot of gagging. Maybe it wasn't tender enough
    12-18-05
    3-23-09
    . 7-17-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post

How did you do string cheese? Not that I can, just curious.

That must have been scary mama.

We've done string cheese, too. I just pull off a kinda thick "string" and then break it into bite sized pieces for her. I tried just giving her a "string I had pulled off, but she managed to shove the entire thing in her mouth and totally gag on it... Yuck!

As far as what to try next- I need ideas, too! Avery still loves purees, so that's mostly what I do. At 10 months, she still only eats 1 meal of solids regularly- some days we do two. Only because I don't think about it. Or she's asleep when we're eating. Or I'm lazy.
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marcie.lynne View Post
    We've done string cheese, too. I just pull off a kinda thick "string" and then break it into bite sized pieces for her.
    that's what we do, too. she loves it. we soften it in the microwave for about 5-6 seconds so it's really easy for her to work around in her mouth.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marcie.lynne View Post
    We've done string cheese, too. I just pull off a kinda thick "string" and then break it into bite sized pieces for her. I tried just giving her a "string I had pulled off, but she managed to shove the entire thing in her mouth and totally gag on it... Yuck!

As far as what to try next- I need ideas, too! Avery still loves purees, so that's mostly what I do. At 10 months, she still only eats 1 meal of solids regularly- some days we do two. Only because I don't think about it. Or she's asleep when we're eating. Or I'm lazy.
    I can totally relate. I always feel SO guilty if I don't give Brody one of his three "meals", and it's almost always because I just dont' feel like preparing another one. Oh well, it's not like the kid is going hungry (he's almost 8mo, btw).

Question: How exactly do you give broccoli?? I can't even imagine Brody eating it. Oh, and banana? I was mashing it with a fork, but I'd like to give it to him to eat himself, I think he'd really enjoy that.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    What are you still avoiding? I think I'm gonna try some rice pasta.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*punky View Post
    Question: How exactly do you give broccoli?? I can't even imagine Brody eating it. Oh, and banana? I was mashing it with a fork, but I'd like to give it to him to eat himself, I think he'd really enjoy that.
    We used to give it to Nora in little "trees." Leave enough of the stalk to serve as a handle and a maybe quarter sized floret at the top that she'd gum at. I steamed it so it was soft enough, but not too mushy to hold.

If you press on the tip of a banana it will divide into 3 strips all the way down the length of the banana. I do that and then break the strips into 2-3 inch long pieces. That way he has a little bit of a handle to hold and enough banana sticking outthe top of his hand to get a little in his mouth.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Mr Wade.. has tried and loves Applesauce and oatmeal, bannanas, cheerios yams sweet potatoes, carrotts peas
    so far not a big fan of chicken.. and yogurt apricots too.
    but we need to start trying new things.. I feel like he eats the same thing over and over and I need to start trying harder..
    thinking of pasta tonight maybe
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    We used to give it to Nora in little "trees." Leave enough of the stalk to serve as a handle and a maybe quarter sized floret at the top that she'd gum at. I steamed it so it was soft enough, but not too mushy to hold.

If you press on the tip of a banana it will divide into 3 strips all the way down the length of the banana. I do that and then break the strips into 2-3 inch long pieces. That way he has a little bit of a handle to hold and enough banana sticking outthe top of his hand to get a little in his mouth.
    This is what I did also
    But our broccoli didn't come out as soft as needed
    12-18-05
    3-23-09
    . 7-17-10