Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blood in baby's diaper...

Default blood in baby's diaper...

Hey ladies!! My 6 week old baby has been having streaks and flecks of blood in her diapers. I was told by my pediatrician that it could be a dairy allergy or that she could be allergic to my breast milk. I was told to eliminate dairy for two weeks and see where that gets us. I have been trying to eliminate dairy as much as possible but she is still having blood in her poop! I am getting scared. Have any of you experienced this with your baby? I am worried! Also, I am worried if it is possible that she be allergic to my breast milk! Sorry for my rambling, I just need some help beyond the pediatrician. Thank you for any answers!

p.s. I have also read that over-supply of milk can cause blood in diapers...is this true? I don't know what to believe! I just don't know which is causing the blood!

Default Re: blood in baby's diaper...

Your pedi is wrong about your baby being allergic to your breastmilk. Your breastmilk is the perfect food for your baby! Check out this link. Has your baby been straining to poo or showing any discomfort?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Great link, check it out. My baby is 2 months and also has this every once in awhile.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

It could be something other than allergies, but if it IS an allergy to milk, it will take longer than 2 weeks to get out of your system and eliminating milk as best as you can is not effective. You have to read every label, check every vitamin/supplement, seasonings, etc to be absolutely certain there is no dairy at all in your diet before your little ones intestines can heal.

There is a wonderful allergy forum on here if you scroll down that can help immensely with menu ideas and piece of mind. Lots of mamas on here have had babies with bloody stools.

Thank you for the link! I will def. check it out. That is great to know that he is false. I thought it was crazy!

Also, thanks for the advice on going to the allergy forum. I just signed onto this today, so I still have to figure all of this out! Do you know what other causes would be making there be blood in poop? It really scares me. I just don't know what to do.

Sorry...I didn't answer your question! She hasn't really been straining to poo. She has a lot of gas and her poo is often green/yellow. She is always passing gas. She has never had a solid stool...very runny with curds. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*addie.smommy View Post
    Sorry...I didn't answer your question! She hasn't really been straining to poo. She has a lot of gas and her poo is often green/yellow. She is always passing gas. She has never had a solid stool...very runny with curds. What do you think?

Sounds normal to me. Here's another link on poo colour.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

DD had this problem too. We learned at 2 weeks that dairy products made her very gassy and but soon after we found blood in her stools. It was a soy senestivity. It takes several weeks for dairy protein to leave the system so give it time. And as others have said check those labels, so many things have dairy that I never expected. Rice Milk and cheese arent too bad. It takes some adjusting for momma but you can do it.

I am having the same trouble with my daughter, who is now almost three months old. It started around 6 weeks. I have completely eliminated dairy and soy from my diet and recently eliminated nuts, shellfish, eggs, chocolate in the hopes that it would help. (I'm already gluten-free because I have Celiac disease, so must avoid wheat, rye, oats, and barley. She is growing well (in 75th percentile for height and weight) and seems otherwise happy. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. And, if anyone has had similar experiences, how long does it take for an elimination to be successful? Any thoughts on the most hypoallergenic nature of meat proteins? (I am allergic to turkey and am currently not eating chicken, beef, or pork because of vegetarian leanings. However, for my daughter, I will eat anything)

-Sea

PS WHere is the allergy forum? I can't find it...

I'm dealing with this too - not necessarily blood in the poo (at least not that I can see) - my issue was with colic. I eliminated dairy, soy, and caffeine and saw a dramatic improvement in about 4 days. On Monday, I made the mistake of having 1 cup of coffee. She was a NIGHTMARE on Tuesday. Back to being great on Wednesday. I think the amount of time it takes to get out of your system may depend on how much you eat/drink and what it is. I suspect dairy/soy take longer than caffeine.

From what I've found in my research, she's not allergic to your milk. It's an intolerance to something in your diet that passes through the milk. Apparently these intolerances also can change over time. If you can identify what the intolerance is and eliminate it, you can fix the problem. I agree with the other poster that you can't just eliminate it as much as you can. I think most recommend doing it for 2-3 weeks to see if you see a difference. If no difference, it's probably not that substance.

The allergy forum has been a great source of info for me. You just need to be registered to LLL to get access to it I think. (Maybe you weren't logged in when you tried).