Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Early morning feedings....

Default Early morning feedings....

Another question.....
    For trying to increase supply and send the message to my body to produce enough.....
    What do I do about overnight? My LO typically goes to sleep around midnight (after hours of trying to get him down). Sometimes he sleeps until 3 and other times until 5. Should I set my alarm and get up to pump? What if I do that and he wakes up an hour later to eat? I'm afraid I won't have enough for that feeding. But last night he slept from midnight until 5:30, and I was VERY full when I woke up. If I'd have known he was going to sleep that long, I would have gotten up to pump!
    I don't go back to work for another 2 weeks so I can get up multiple times at night to pump/nurse him, but I'm not sure if it will help. I definitely won't be able to keep it up when I go back to work and can't nap during the day.
    Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Early morning feedings....

How have things been going? You received some good responses to your other post, but I just wanted to touch base and mention something else about the pumping issue.

Unless you know for sure you have a supply issue (ds not gaining well or not getting sufficient output) you do not have to pump extra.

I know some working moms like to have a little extra milk in the freezer when they go back to work, just in case. But really, the best milk you could give ds would be the milk you expressed for him the previous day. You will be able to express while at work? Then there is probably not a need for stockpiling a whole lot of milk in advance. (But I know it is a good feeling to have a little stash, just in case! )

Thanks for your help. Things seem to be going well. The night is just rough and he's needed a bottle of EBM for the past two nights. He just doesn't seem to be able to get enough to eat in the evenings.
    I have a bit stored in the freezer. I *should* be able to pump at work, but since I haven't tried yet, I want to make sure I have a good stash. After seeing so many posts about others losing/decreasing their supply, I also worry that it will happen to me, and I'll have to switch to the dreaded formula.
    Should I save my freezer stash and use the previous day's EBM when my ds starts going to the sitter? That certainly would save me from worrying about remembering to thaw what I have!
    Thanks again!

Yes, best case scenario is that you use the EBM from the previous day. Fresh from the fridge, not frozen. You can save the frozen for back-up or emergencies. If you put it in a separate storage freezer that does not get opened frequently it will be good for up to 6 months.

HTH!

Good luck and don't worry about having a supply problem. If you have one, then you can worry!