Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased supply at night????

Default Decreased supply at night????

Help!
    I have a 5-week-old and have been almost exclusively breastfeeding. (He has had less than 10 bottles.) I started pumping a few weeks ago in preparation for going back to work.
    The past few nights it seems as if I don't have enough for him in the evening. He eats for a little while and then either starts crying (while on the breast) or seems like he's just sucking on me like a pacifier. I do not typically pump at night so I know I'm not pumping out what he needs.
    Last night we gave him an ounce of pumped milk and 2 oz of formula in order to satisfy him so he'd sleep.
    I'd rather not have to give him formula. Is it normal for me to have less in the evening? I thought my body was supposed to produce more as his needs increased?? Any suggestions on what I should do about this??
    Thanks!

Default Re: Decreased supply at night????

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Hopefully some other mamas will be along shortly to add some helpful advice and support as well. It's normal, especially in the early weeks, for babies to be extra fussy in the evenings and to cluster feed during this time. You may find this information at this link helpful:

Cluster Feeding and Fussy Evenings

Part of that page states:

"Cluster feeding often coincides with your baby's fussy time. Baby will nurse a few minutes, pull off, fuss/cry, nurse a few minutes, pull off, fuss/cry... on and on... for hours. This can be VERY frustrating, and mom starts wondering if baby is getting enough milk, if something she is eating is bothering baby, if EVERYTHING she is doing is bothering baby... It can really ruin your confidence, particularly if there is someone else around asking the same questions (your mother, your husband, your mother-in-law).

This behavior is NORMAL! It has nothing to do with your breastmilk or your mothering. If baby is happy the rest of the day, and baby doesn't seem to be in pain (as with colic) during the fussy time - just keep trying to soothe your baby and don't beat yourself up about the cause. Let baby nurse as long and as often as he will. Recruit dad (or another helper) to bring you food/drink and fetch things (book/remote/phone/etc.) while you are nursing and holding baby."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I'm relactating at the moment for my 8 month old but I remember when he was newborn I had this problem too. The only advice I can offer is to let him feed in the evening as much as he wants to. This will help boost your milk supply as well as giving him more milk. He may want to feed every hour or half hour in the evening, but I think it's normal. The problem with topping up with formula is that he will feed less from you and you'll end up producing less milk... it's a really vicious cycle!
    Try not to panic about it, try and eat a good healthy lunch so your body has enough energy to run on.
    I hope this helps a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Joybells
    I'm relactating at the moment for my 8 month old but I remember when he was newborn I had this problem too. The only advice I can offer is to let him feed in the evening as much as he wants to. This will help boost your milk supply as well as giving him more milk. He may want to feed every hour or half hour in the evening, but I think it's normal. The problem with topping up with formula is that he will feed less from you and you'll end up producing less milk... it's a really vicious cycle!
    Try not to panic about it, try and eat a good healthy lunch so your body has enough energy to run on.
    I hope this helps a little!
    DITTO! I forgot to finish my post! Joybells did it for me. Introducing formula will only hurt your milk supply ... don't do it! Your little one is acting totally normal for his age ... I nursed my baby girl around the clock every 45 minutes for the first couple months. She also got very fussy in the evenings, but I had plenty of milk. All that nursing will help your milk supply tremendously! And help your little guy gain the comfort he needs from his mama! You are doing wonderfully, keep up the good work!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon