Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ran out of room

Question Ran out of room

My deep freezer is full of milk and I started stashing bags in the refrigerator until there was room in the freezer (I defrost the older bags of milk first). But my fridge is now filling up with milk and it has been about 2 weeks. None of the milk smells or looks bad but apparently it is outside the guidelines to keep it refrigerated so long. I've started letting the baby have some and he has had no problems with it. Should I just throw out the milk to be on the safe side?

And does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with excess milk in the future? I was hoping to find information here on wet nursing (with a pumped supply only) or milk donation. Thank you!

Default Re: Ran out of room

Wow! I haven't done this yet, but look into milkshare. You can search for it online. What I have done is call a birth center in town and asked if they had any mamas that needed milk for their babies. They usually know of someone. I also spoke with a lactation consultant at my hospital that leads a breastfeeding support group and she knew of someone else who needed milk.

Why do you have so much? Could you cut back on pumping?

I think it's awesome that you have so much milk and can donate. Go for it!