Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think we're getting there...

Default I think we're getting there...

I am feeling torn I had to pin Shiloh down to keep him nursing until 13mos Joey is starting to get the same way. I feel like I have all but dried up. I don't feel a let-down anymore, and I don't hear her swallowing at all. The only time I can get her to nurse for more that 10 seconds is if she's dead asleep.

For the last month I have had to wait until she is asleep and then pick her up to get her to nurse. I have often wondered why I keep doing it if she is just as happy without nursing

On the one hand, it makes me sad because I had this internal goal to make it to 2yrs after feeling like I had "failed" Shiloh by only nursing him 13mos...and on the other hand...nursing has never been for us what I know it is to some on this forum. For us, I think nursing has been more about food/nutrition that about solely comfort....as is evidenced by the fact that both of my children don't need nursing to be comforted. And that's OK...because that's how I guess I "trained" them to be but now I am feeling strangely sad.

I'm just not sure if I should keep picking her up out of a dead sleep to nurse her, or if I should just let this be the end
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: I think we're getting there...

How did you "train" them to be that way? And I'm sure she's getting something, even if it isn't much. There are lots of benefits to nursing past one as you already know. I really can't help you decide what to do. I don't know. What do you feel is right?

Do what you feel is right mamma.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    How did you "train" them to be that way? And I'm sure she's getting something, even if it isn't much. There are lots of benefits to nursing past one as you already know. I really can't help you decide what to do. I don't know. What do you feel is right?
    I don't feel like I forced them to self-soothe, as in hard-core babywise or baby whisperer, but I didn't nurse them for every little cry or peep. We didn't co-sleep and I did offer a paci. Which is fine, it works for our family. I honestly couldn't even begin to wrap my mind around nursing Joey 10-12x a day at this age...though I'm not saying its wrong for the moms who do...it just wouldn't work for us.

I guess I'm not really looking for advice as much as I'm just putting down my feelings into words.

I am happy that she is a happy toddler. I am happy that she is fiercely independent and I know she won't "take crap from anyone"...not even her own brother I also love that she will come to me AND DH when she is upset and needs to be comforted. And I love that I'm not the only person that can comfort her.

I am also a little sad that I feel like she doesn't "need" me as much as she used to. That when she wakes up, breakfast time means sitting in the high chair and eating eggs and toast, not sitting in the rocking chair nursing for 30minutes, you know?

But at the same time, I am so happy that I LOVED nursing for the duration that I did vs being a year down the road from now and feeling trapped or feeling like I had to encourage weaning from a child that didn't want to wean, does that make sense? I'd rather remember the end of nursing being her outgrowing the need vs weaning being me trying to push her towards it because I was done. Not sure if that made sense.

Anyways, its 1130pm and I'm going to go grab my baby and nurse her...for as little or as long as she wants to. I guess that's what we'll keep doing for now.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Leslie,
    I would keep at it with her. She has been so sick. And the composition really changes and the antibody level really goes up since naturally a child will be nursing less and getting around more.
    If anybody still needs milk, it's Joey. Keep at it mama. Even if it's just dream feeds.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree to try and stick with it, especially through cold and flu season. Nursing between ages 1-2 is so weird, they are very picky at that age. Logan went for a whole month of nursing every other day or so right around 13/14 months... but we stuck it out and he picked it up again.

Are you taking care of yourself? I wonder if you might be having supply problems because you're tired/stressed/not eating or drinking the right things?

We're here for ya momma!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    I don't feel like I forced them to self-soothe, as in hard-core babywise or baby whisperer, but I didn't nurse them for every little cry or peep. We didn't co-sleep and I did offer a paci. Which is fine, it works for our family. I honestly couldn't even begin to wrap my mind around nursing Joey 10-12x a day at this age...though I'm not saying its wrong for the moms who do...it just wouldn't work for us.
    We did something similar, yet I'm syill nursing a 2yr old. Every baby is different. I agree with the others though, I had forgotten about her being so sick.

I would keep at it. Def. through cold and flu season. Shelly is right, milk nutrition levels change as baby starts to wean. I have battled low supply for a long time with DS2, now is the time I can relax because I know we have done great and any milk is better than none iykwim.

We nurse less than some mom's at almost 17mo (3-4 times a day), but that's okay. Any breastmilk is good!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Are you taking care of yourself? I wonder if you might be having supply problems because you're tired/stressed/not eating or drinking the right things?

We're here for ya momma!
    Thank you LLLadies so much. And Lisa, in answer to your question, I'm probably not doing the best for me that I could. Just typing this is making me cry. I'm so TIRED. I get up at 530am so that I can go crawl into bed with Joey and feed her. Then I crawl into the shower and start the day. I work 730a-530pm. On Mon/Tues/Thurs evenings I come home and practically dump the kids at home, grab a quick snack, and am off to class/lab. I get out around 945pm and then I head back to work to clean for extra $$$ so that I can pay for my class. Its a vicious cycle

I have an amazing husband. He loves the kids, feeds them, bathes them, and puts them to bed 3 nights a week. This weekend I went to my mom's house and let her take care of them while I slept most of the weekend. When I came home, DH had cleaned the entire house. Laundry and all But during the week I come home and there is still more to do.

We are also getting ready to move and down-size from a 3bedroom to a 2 bedroom. BUT, maybe we'll end up co-sleeping again My 3yo certainly doesn't show any signs of wanting his own bed anytime soon

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. I will stick with it. And I will TRY to take better care of myself. Its hard feeling like you are always battling supply issues.

ETA: She doesn't get the paci when she's with or around me. BUT, at daycare she has the paci. Her teachers, per my request, really try to limit its use though to naptime or when she's just really upset.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

oh mama

your such an amazing woman! i have been having a pity party all day about having 2 kids and 3 classes and a house to keep up with.. and you have all of that and a job!!!! and you actually attend class, mine are just online right now.

anyway, thanks for your post, when i feel tired and sorry for myself like tonight. I can think of you and other women that are doing the same things and more.

sorry totally OT
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.