Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: do i need new pump parts for new baby 2 years later?

Default do i need new pump parts for new baby 2 years later?

i ep'd for 2 years with 1st LO using a medela PIS original. now we are expecting #2 in a few months. it will have only been about 5 months since i have used the pump or the pump parts.

do i need new breastshields, personal pump connectors, membranes, etc. for safety/sterilization/sanity reasons? is it safe to use the old ones?

what about new medela bottles?

i have purchased new tubing, but am wondering if a good sterilization will be sufficient for the old pump parts? if so, what qualifies as a "good sterilization"? thanks!

Default Re: do i need new pump parts for new baby 2 years later?

I'm not sure what is "best" but, my pump was "at rest" for 2 years and I bought new tubing and membranes. I sterilized the rest in those micro steam bags. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference that it's only been 5 months for you. I would think you'd be ok with just sterilizing by boiling or buying some of those sterilizing bags for the microwave.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: do i need new pump parts for new baby 2 years later?

I'm pretty sure they recommend getting new bottles for the new baby. Old scratches in the plastic on the inside of the bottles from cleaning and such are good places to harbor bacteria. If nothing else, I would pick up a few new ones and only use those for the first month or two (if you have to feed baby from a bottle).

I have also heard that pumps aren't designed to last much longer than a year. So, if this one is already 2 years in from EPing, the motor may have worn down some. You may want to consider springing for a new one.

I just wanted to add: Wow! 2 years EPing is dedication. I pumped only at work, and it was hard sometimes to keep that going for the year I did it.