Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Sleeps on me!

Unhappy Baby Sleeps on me!

At night, my 8 week old will only sleep on me. If I try to lay her down, she wakes up shortly after almost every time. I have given up on trying to lay her down now because I want my night sleep. However, I feel we have established a bad pattern...will she always need to do this or be in the bed with me? My husband and I have absolutely no romantic life and I take her to work with me so she will hardly sleep at all there unless I am holding her. Should I keep trying to lay her down until she gets used to it? If she wakes up then do I pick her up until she falls asleep and then lay her down again? Is it curable?

Default Re: Baby Sleeps on me!

Congratulations on your new baby!
    At this stage -which is still pretty early - it's not uncommon for your baby to only want to sleep ON you. Several mommas here have had that exact experience and I'm sure you'll hear from them, too! Keep in mind, your baby has been WITH you for nearly 11 months now and is used to hearing your heartbeat! She will outgrow this in time and you really needn't worry about 'spoiling' her this way right now. All the contact and tending is a GOOD thing and it will be a plus in the long run....this phase won't last forever...enjoy it while you are still her whole world and THE thing that can comfort her. It's a beautiful thing, really!!
    hang in there; it will get easier.
    -linda

My dd also slept on me until she was 8 weeks old. At that point, I realized she just wanted to be on her belly. I was comfortable with placing her in that position to sleep, although I know many aren't and understandably so. I guess I kinda thought, what is the difference if she is on her belly on my chest or on her belly in her bed right next to me...so that is what we did and she would sleep fine like that. If I laid her on her back, she would wake up.

One other thing you could try is to warm her bed with a heating pad (removing it before you place her in there of course)...sometimes the change of temperature wakes them.

Other than that, I don't have a lot of suggestions, but know that this won't last forever...I know how you feel, I was concerned about the same things, and now my 6.5 mobile little thing WON'T sleep with me...she would rather use me as a jungle gym!!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Many nights our DD would sleep only if she slept on either me or DH till she was 3 months old. We bought recliner to be comfortable. But then it stopped and now at 7 months old she sleep alone. Point is, it gets better. DD sleeps on tummy, even if I put her on back she will roll over. I guess some babies are tummy sleepers.

Yeah, we did this a lot in the early weeks. She really loved to sleep on DH's tummy. Now she's still a big co-sleeper but she will sleep in her crib. Not to fret. At this stage, she needs that comfort and cuddles that you can provide. just remember...in a few short years, she will not want to be anywhere NEAR you (OH, MOM!)...

So enjoy it while it lasts. That's the way I always look at it!

Quote Originally Posted by staceyinsamoa
    ...will she always need to do this or be in the bed with me?
    Yep. Just wait till you'll have a seventeen-year-old sleeping on your tummy.

Hey, don't worry, your baby will outgrow this stage, sooner or later. If you want to make it sooner, you might want to try gentle sleep routines like the ones describen in "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. Mine both went through this phase, and my son slept all night every night on my chest till almost five months old. I was a bit concerned with regard to safety issues/SIDS, but I am a very light sleeper and I guessed it was okay.

Apparently, many infants take MUCH longer to sleep independently than their parents would wish or imagine. My older child is getting there now, at two-and-a-half years old! Your baby is still very young and you are only just getting used to being a parent. Some months down the line it will all look a lot less dramatic. Good luck!

i am going through the same thing so i can't offer much advice. but as far as the romance life goes, i asked a friend to watch him for an hour and a half or so to just give us some alone time. i was thinking about him and pranoid the entire time, but DH really need the time together and it made a difference in him not feeling left out.

I have found that when LO is worn out and ready to sleep if i swaddle him up and let him fall asleep on me he will go down in his crib for about 3 hours. i get things each night usually. good luck. everyone keeps saying it will get better. i know i'm waiting for it. i'd just love to get more than 2 1/2 hours of sleep at one time.

Thanks for all the feedback. Last night, I let her sleep on me for about 1/2 hour and then put her down on her tummy and she slept for 3 hours! Maybe it is largely a preferenct to tummy sleeping. I was thrilled!

Smile Re: Baby Sleeps on me!

Awww... enjoy it while it lasts. I know it seems rough now. My DD slept on me for about two months. She's 5.5 months now and has outgrown that stage! We co sleep but she definatly still wants her space! And she naps in her crib during the day. Hang in there... you'll miss it later!