Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Afraid my son's starving...

Unhappy Afraid my son's starving...

My son was born on Aug 10th. The doctor has me worried about my son's weight gain. He was born 8lb 1oz but lost due to severe jaundice while in the NICU at day 7 when released he was 7lb 3oz. On Aug 31st (day 21) he was up to 7lb 15oz.

I breastfeed and rarely give a bottle. If ones given it's only 1-3 oz and only when I need a break. He hasnt had one in 5 or so days now.

He is now refusing all bottles when I tried earlier today to get a break so thats frustrating in itself if he is starving. He sleeps after feedings well for 1-2 hrs, he is peeing 4-6 times a day and pooping every 1-3 days sometimes 1-2x+ a day if he stores it.

I'm still afraid he isnt getting enough because of the doctors comments on 8/31. They wanted me to give him a bottle after each feeding to fatten him up. I dont want to do that though, but what if i'm starving him to death? The thought scares me. She said his gain was unimpressive... Because he refuses bottles I was even considering giving him some solids already.

any advice?

Default Re: Afraid my son's starving...

What makes you think your LO is starving? Does he cry a lot/ upset while BF? It sounds as though he got off to a rough start and lost a lot of weight in the NICU but since he's been home he has gained 12 oz in 14 days. That's PERFECT!

DO NOT give your LO solids. His digestive system is WAY too immature to handle them. You will only open yourself up to a lot more problems. Feed you LO on demand. B/c he hasn't yet reached his birthweight I would not let him go longer than 3 hrs without nursing so if he's sleeping I would wake him up at this point.

When you say you are giving him bottles is it EBM or formula? If it's formula you will be compromising your milk supply, especially this early (even if it's just an occassional bottle). You should not introduce a bottle until BF is WELL established (4-6wks). He's much too young and you run the risk of having a nipple "confusion" issue. I know that it's tiring but at this point you need to be the sole provider of his nourishment.

You're doing great! Hang in there!
    Last edited by luke's mom; September 13th, 2006 at 09:55 AM.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

If he's making wet and poopy diapers and gaining (even slowly), then he's NOT starving to death! Definately nurse him as often as he'll take it; don't let him go longer than 2-3 hours during the day or 4 hours at night without waking him to nurse. You should be nursing him at least 8-12 times in 24 hours. Also, avoid using a paci as it can interfere with baby realizing when he's hungry.

To help him get more milk, especally the more fatty hindmilk, do breast compressions: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

I agree with pp -- your son gained 12 ounces in 14 days (from NICU discharge on 8/17 to ped visit on 8/31). That is a great growth rate. He wasn't quite up to his birth weight by the age of 3 weeks, but that's because he lost so much during his NICU stay. LLL Leaders and IBCLCs always look at weight gain from the lowest point, not just from birth, because babies can lose quite different amounts in the days after birth, depending on a number of different factors.

Also, even if there WERE a serious concern about his weight gain, the advice to give a bottle after each feeding is not evidence-based advice. There are other things that can and should be tried first with a breastfeeding baby. Based on what you have told us, I'm wondering how much your doctor and his/her staff know about the basics of breastfeeding.

The only unusual thing I see in your post is the infrequent poops -- he's a little young to be storing poops already. And we would like to see more like 5-6 wet diapers, not 4.

When he nurses, are you seeing a good jaw motion (a wiggle back near the ear) and after a minute are you hearing little puffs of air that indicate swallowing? Does he cue to nurse? Does he seem contented after eating? How many times did he nurse in the past 24 hours, and how many wet and dirty diapers did he make during those same 24 hours?

The 31st was 2 weeks ago now. Why don't you take him in for another weight check -- make sure it is the same scale that was used last time, and that he is dressed (or undressed) the same. I think most offices will let you come in without paying for an appointment, just to put the baby on the scale. This will also demonstrate to them that you are taking their concerns seriously even if you aren't following their instructions about topping off every feed. And if they push you again about supplemental bottles, you don't have to argue about it -- instead, explain that you would like to work with a board-certified lactation consultant, and ask if they can refer you to one.

Let us know how that weight check looks, and then I think we'll have a better idea of whether you need to adjust your breastfeeding "management" at all.

--Rebecca

My son was born on Aug. 17th, and at birth he was 7lbs13oz. At discharge he was 7lbs5oz. Two weeks later at our 2 week appt. he was only 6lbs9oz! I felt horrible! I felt like I was starving my baby and that it was all my fault. The doctor wanted to see him again in a week and sternly told me that he was "unimpressed" with his gain. He also questioned whether or not I was actually producing milk (which hurt my feelings!), and then after asking how long he nursed for he said that 45 minutes was way to long. What?!?!

Anyway, a week later at his weight check he had gained 7oz in 7 days. Perfect!

Don't listen to you pedi, your LO is doing fine!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

is there a home scale method i can use?

i hate going there. the nurse practitioner who sees him aka his "doctor" always lectures me on how i need to use a crib, let him cry it out for 20 minutes, how he needs a pacifier not me to be the pacifier, to supplement him, and then she even on the 31st told me to cut his nails not peel its ok if i slip up and get the skin he'll be ok... she really bothers me. she even asked if i had milk too so i squeezed some out to shut her up.

i hold and nurse him all day and night he even sleeps with me and we lay down to feed. he seems pretty satisfied. he sleeps good too. he hates being put down, so when i do things like make up, shower etc... his dad holds him we work from home online so we got plenty of time.

ps: can i take him to the grocery store and use the fruit scales? they show lbs/ounces?

theres no other doctors here...

Quote Originally Posted by sinkitten
    ps: can i take him to the grocery store and use the fruit scales? they show lbs/ounces?

theres no other doctors here...
    Where are you????

if it makes you feel any better my girl was born at 8 lbs 6 oz and when we left the hossy on day 2 she was 7 lbs 11 oz. at day 10 she was 7 lbs 5 oz. On day 14 she was up to 8 lbs even. She always had the required wet diapers and poopies so I just kept nursing her. Anyway, by her 2 month she was 12 lbs 6 oz. and now she is 18 1/2 lbs at 4 1/2 months!

I hope that encourages you a little. And I have never supp'd her at all even though the doctors did not come right out and tell me to but they hinted about it.

I strongly recommend finding another doctor. I second DJsMom's question, "Where are you?". It might be worth driving a little farther for a better ped. I would suggest finding a board certified ped. not a nurse practitioner. You shouldn't dread going to your LO's doctor. That's not good for you or your LO.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001