Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething question

Default Teething question

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll try here. I've read that if you massage a baby's gums before their teeth start to come in, it will make it less painful for them. Is that true? Would I just massage with my fingers, or should I get some of that baby orajel stuff to massage onto her gums? I don't want to use the orajel if there are any ingredients that could hurt her. Is there something else I could do?

Default Re: Teething question

I'm not really sure I can answer your question... but my son is never interested in sitting still long enough for a real thorough gum massage. When he's having real teething pain and distraction doesn't make him forget (particularly at bedtime) we give him tylenol. We've never tried the teething gels- I've heard that they wash off, what with all the baby drool, pretty quickly. Perhaps others have experience using them though.

a cold wet wash cloth (even from the freezer) is a good one to use, and also, we found teething tablets (hylands brand) all natural. they work great. we got ours at gnc. hylalnds makes a whole line of all natural products. i haven't tried anything else yet (hope we dont' need to!)

I've heard the teething gels can harden theirs gums making it more difficult for them to break through. I just give my LO some tylenol.

Dont waste your money. Everytime I try to put that gel on I end up getting it on the tongue and I think that makes him mad because it makes his tongue feel weird because of the numbing component. It doesnt seem to last very long either. So not really worth all that. One of those is the cure worse than the disease things. We just use Tylenol.

Quote Originally Posted by Princessnurse73
    Dont waste your money. Everytime I try to put that gel on I end up getting it on the tongue and I think that makes him mad because it makes his tongue feel weird because of the numbing component. It doesnt seem to last very long either. So not really worth all that. One of those is the cure worse than the disease things. We just use Tylenol.
    We also use Tylenol or Infant Motrin. My LO enjoys having her gums massaged when teething ... every baby is different.

I would use caution when using Orajel (or other topical anesthetics), since it numbs baby's mouth and can make breastfeeding very difficult for your baby.

Here are some suggestions to help a baby with teething pain:

Teething and also see: Benzocaine Teething Gels

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Paint the Moon,

Do you just massage with your fingers then? That's what I'm wondering...can I just use my fingers or did I need to put something on to rub in. Also, when you massage the gums, about how hard do you press down?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by catherinesmommy
    Paint the Moon,

Do you just massage with your fingers then? That's what I'm wondering...can I just use my fingers or did I need to put something on to rub in. Also, when you massage the gums, about how hard do you press down?

Thanks!
    I just use my fingers ... nothing on them! Just use firm pressure, not too hard. I can't do it anymore now that she's got teeth on top and bottom ... she'll bite me with those precious but deadly sharp little chompers!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon