Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: relactation

Default relactation

hello everyoane, I have a boy of 3 months that I would like to renursing. Is it possible? I breastfeed but only 6 week because he had a reflux and I did knew that then and he crying non stop when i feed him at breast. I got one months ago 2 pills to stop nursing, meanwhile I discoverd what was the crying sourse. He have a Gastro esophageal reflux
    I wish from my heart to breastfeed. It is longer possible to relactation after I took those pills and it came my menses?
    What should I do? will you help me. thank you. I need your suport.

Default Re: relactation

Yes, relactation is possible, even after taking the pills. However, after a month and a half of not nursing, it's not going to be a one-day process. It's going to take some time, effort, and expert assistance.

In your shoes, I would do the following things:
    - Get the baby back on the breast if she/he will still take it. A baby's suckling can be one of the most effective ways to rebuild supply.
    - If the baby will nurse, try to allow him/her to suckle as much as possible.
    - If the baby will not take the breast, try doing lots of skin-to-skin contact, and consider sleeping with your baby, either in the same bed or with a crib adjoining your bed. Relaxed, sleepy babies will sometimes latch without a fight.
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably one with an IBCLC degree.
    - Get the best possible pump. Hospital-grade double electric rental pumps tend to be the most effective.
    - Pump frequently. When I needed to increase my supply, I pumped both sides for 10 minutes every two hours during the day and every three hours at night.
    - Herbs. Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and ordinary oatmeal are all good for milk supply.
    - Drugs. Discuss lactation-boosting drugs with your LC, doctor, and/or midwife. Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada) are anti-nausea drugs that can increase milk supply as a side-effect. Both are prescription-only and have additional side-effects, so it is important to talk to your health care provider before taking either substance.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I relactated for my son. I took domperidone and pumped every 2-3 hours. I was never able to get him back to the breast but he did get breast milk for about 7 months. I relactated when he was 5 months. It is definately possible however I didn't take anything to dry my milk up initially so I don't have any experience with that. Hope that helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Kate,
    Was it hard for you to do? Im losing my motivation =/
    Im Celia
    Mommy to Audrey
    5/14/09
    7 lbs 4 oz 20 inches
    Military mom
    with my hubby of four years and we

TBTTW Member: Weight loss goal 25 lbs
    start*155*

My motivation stayed pretty good b/c I could see my milk supply increasing. It was slow at first but once it started coming in pretty good then my supply got better and better. It also made me soooo happy to see my son be able to have my breastmilk. He loved it. The other thing that kept me motivated was he was constantly getting colds all winter long and I really felt like my milk would help him fight them off. But I do have to say that it was time consuming especially with a 2 1/2 year old running around and there were days that I would just not want to pump but the idea of stopping was harder for me contemplate.
    How long have you been trying to relactate? What are you doing? If you have any questions feel free to pm me if you want to. I'll try to help in any way I can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11