Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Signs of Overactive Let Down ?

Default Signs of Overactive Let Down ?

My LO often gulps when first going to the breast but soon after he is down to just little sucks at the breast, and falls asleep soon after. He seems content after the feeding, but will spit up soon after, or have a big burp. But I feel as though ALL the milk comes at that time, because even after such a short feeding, I am unable to express much more, and pumping only gets a few drops (havent had much success pumping yet anyways). He does push away from the breast at the start, and when he latches, is mostly just on the nipple but if left on the breast, he seems to get a letdown or 2 after the initial heavy flow. I feel as though I have the Overactive LD but not enough milk, as he is often hungry soon after each feeding, and when put to the breast, I cannot hear his sucking sounds nor does he have the open, pause motion.

He has at least 6-8 wet diapers in a day - but lately goes a day or so inbetween poops which are watery, and close to an orangey colour? He is stuffy, but seems to be coming from his throat, not just his nose. He was 8.5 at birth, and now at 6 weeks 2 days is about 9.14.

Some other symptoms he has are a straining/pushing noise ... rarely with farts but sometimes a fart. Cries and cries soon after feedings, gets a red red face, only wants the boob, but still pushes away when im trying to latch him. Couging at times (when not feeding). His spit up was brown once.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Signs of Overactive Let Down ?

If you have OALD, then milk supply is unlikely to be a problem, since oversupply is often the cause of the OALD. Also, your baby's diaper output sounds fine, so that's another clue that your milk supply is, too.

Going a few days in between poops is normal for a breastfed baby. The watery nature of the poops is a bit more unusual- when you say watery how watery do you mean? Like all water, soaking into the diaper, or like very soft cottage cheese with a watery component?

You might want to try the positioning tricks on this page: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html They can help slow a fast letdown.

His spit up was brown once.
    I think I can shed some light on this. Nursing or pumping can break the delicate blood vessels inside the breast. If you're pumping, this will tint your milk an alarming shade of pink. If you're nursing, the only way that you'll know about the bloody milk is by seeing brown spit-up. It's nothing to worry about- the bloody milk will not hurt the baby and the blood vessels are fragile but also resilient, and almost always heal by the next time you need to nurse or pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

[QUOTE=@llli*mommal;790443]Going a few days in between poops is normal for a breastfed baby. The watery nature of the poops is a bit more unusual- when you say watery how watery do you mean? Like all water, soaking into the diaper, or like very soft cottage cheese with a watery component?
    QUOTE]

The problem with him pushing away from my breast etc, really only began in the last week or two, before that he was having the loose BMs with the fat curds. This week, they are just watery - mostly soaked into the diaper, with a bit that just pools on the diaper, no fat curds?

From what I am reading with the OLD, I feel that its what Im experiencing yet, I never experienced engorgement and only sometimes experience full hard breasts and thats at night if he has gone a few hours without eating. (he wants the breast ALL the time)

Ok, I might be able to help.

The OALD does normally come with too much milk supply. I agree with the other ladies. I have too much milk and OALD. I have already by her 6th week of life filled the outside deep freeze...

The poops becoming watery, soaking into the diaper and changing color slightly, can signal a fore milk/hind milk imbalance. I experienced this as well. It can also contribute to spitting up, fussiness (colic type behaviors), gassiness, a tentative diagnosis of reflux, etc.

This imbalance happens because we have too much milk, which I suspect you do. The babies eat more milk that their bellies can hold comfortably because the fore milk has fewer calories than hind milk and babies want calories. They become overfull, but still want calories, and spit up, fuss or become gassy. Then they immediately want the breast... compounding the problem.

The solution that seems to be working for us is block feeding. The recommended way to do this is to offer the same breast for a giving time frame. Say the next three hours (you decide what time frame you want) the only breast LO gets is the right, then switch for the next three hours. This is in hopes of LO emptying the breast and receiving hind milk. PROBLEM is what if LO doesn't want to eat anymore in that given period of time. Then they are just getting more fore milk from the other side. SOLUTION for me was to offer the same side for a certain number of feedings...no matter the time frame. Yes some fore milk may be replaced but my LO does a better job of emptying the breast this way. It takes us three feedings on one side to empty the breast and we have been working on it for 6 days. (I have a lot of milk). The first day I noticed improvements and each day just gets better!!!! No more crying spells, spitting up reduced tremendously (accompanies feedings and burps occasionally), poops returned to normal. Caution: Engorgement will happen on side not being nursed from, Leaking all the time for a few days as well. Just make preparations to handle these things, express until comfortable, nursing pads, change of clothing, etc. These "side-effects" go away quickly.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more info. www.kellymom.com has some great info. If you need the direct link to this problem let me know and I can get it for you.

There is also a post on the forum titled hind milk/fore milk imbalance or something close to that that should be helpful.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by @llli*mommamema; September 28th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.