Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reintroducing breast milk to my 17 month old??

Default reintroducing breast milk to my 17 month old??

I have a 17 month old and a 4 week old. I ended up weaning my older daughter at 1 year, since I was pregnant and my milk supply had decreased substantially. She is now drinking vitamin D milk on a regular basis. I'm thinking about reintroducing breast milk to her... has anyone else done this? I'm not sure that I'll breastfeed her, but am interested in giving her breast milk or a combination of breast milk & vitamin D milk through the bottle.
    I'd love to hear any thoughts out there.

Default Re: reintroducing breast milk to my 17 month old??

Yes, you can definitely reintroduce breastmilk to your toddler! Plenty of moms nurse through pregnancy, and tandem nurse their older child alongside their new baby, so you're not doing anything weird.

Here's a fun article that may resonate for you: Unweaning Georgia
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks... i'm not concerned about the "weird" factor at all... and i really enjoyed the article. was just curious about the health benefits and such for children over a year... i know that there are immense benefits of breast milk for younger babies (one year and below).

lots of benfits for anybody that drinks mommas milk:

awe that was what I was looking up and forgot.

with Andrea there are tons of benefits for ANYONE who drinks their own species specific milk. Specifically for the toddlers 2nd year http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

I did this with my older ds, when ds2 was born (ds1 was 21 months), and I feel so good about it. Like you, I had to stop pumping for him when I got pregnant because my supply really diminished (I exclusively pumped for him), but I would've liked to provide him bm for much longer. So anyways, I pump every morning for Liam. He's now 28 months and has about 10oz a day (more or less). And although it's not a huge amount, he's only been sick with a minor cold once, since he's been back on the breast milk.
    Oh, and he'll only take it cold, and sometimes in chocolate form.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

I pumped for my 18 mo. old (weaned at 1 year due to pregnancy) after my second was born and just gave him the milk cold in a sippy. He only got about 6 oz. every few days (maybe 2-3 times a week) but I felt good about doing it. I think it helped. I froze a TON of milk b/c I went back to work when the second baby was 8 weeks - so he had some "fresh" milk and a bunch of frozen, too. It's totally normal and a GREAT thing to do!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

thank you ladies... all very helpful and encouraging information.