Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is the food I eat giving my baby trapped wind?

Default Is the food I eat giving my baby trapped wind?

My baby girl is 17 weeks old and has suffered from chronic flatulence since she was born - mainly this is trapped wind and she has really bad discomfort from it, often waking her up at night. I have tried cutting out various foods and the problem still persists. We breastfeed 100%. Is this down to the food I eat? Does anyone know of any food that is known to trigger this? Could there be another reason?

Default Re: Is the food I eat giving my baby trapped wind?

First - Babies are gassy creatures! They have an immature digestive system and sometimes have a hard time with even the most digestable foods (BM). That being said, there are things in your diet that can make it worse for your LO. For me it's broccoli. It gives DS terrible gas. For other moms it could be dairy, onions, beans ect. This is something that she will grow out of. My son is now 5 1/2 mos old and though he still is pretty gassy sometimes I no longer see him in pain from it. If the elimination diet doesn't work then it may be just a waiting-it-out game for you.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    Is this down to the food I eat? Does anyone know of any food that is known to trigger this? Could there be another reason?
    Some of the known food cultprits are: milk products (cow's protein), nuts, soybeans, wheat, corn, eggs, oats.

Try this site as it gives information. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

Sometimes I think I read or heard could be prenatal vitamins (the iron) It is really hard to figure out if it's our diet, need to track what your eating to aim to pinpoint the source..

Hope this helps
    Jen
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Thanks Jen. Useful Link. Thanks too Luke's mom. I really hope she does grow out of it soon. It does, however, seem to e getting worse. Waking her up in the night several times and unable to release the wind. It is the trapped wind, not the wind, that is the problem. My daughter is now 19 weeks old. I hope over the next month or so her system will learn to deal a little better with digesting. Thanks both.

I had the same problem with my dd. She was very gassy all the time. We could feel it gurggling in her tummy. It would wake her up at night and she was crying all the time. Someone suggested I try cutting out dairy and that did the trick!!! It can take 2 weeks for it all to get out of your system.

Good luck!

LOL, boy the gassy baby, my DD is almost a year and you could play a instrument (or fuel a car, I wish) on what she blows out of her butt.....Some of her is related to her surgery, but even before that, she was gassy. She can put my husband to shame...lol. I found that none of the gas drops did any good. Dairy and Soy are already out of my diet...so...she's just a gassy baby. It does hurt her through I know that because she'll wake up screaming with her legs pulled to her chest, I found a change of position usually will help get the gas out. Hope this helps.