Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

I just got offered a pretty good job that I have decided to take. I will be working 4 to midnight 5 nights a week. DS turns 1 tomorow , and I would really like to not have to pump. He still nurses anywhere from 5 to7 times a day and he takes solids great, can I partially wean him so that while I am gone he gets cows milk and then I can nurse when I'm with him? Any opinions or advice? I don't want to go back to work but it's a neccisity for us right now. This is the first time I have worked since I was pregnant with DD in 2003 so it's going to be a change for me! Thanks for any input!

Default Re: What to do?

Congratualtions

When you say you don't want to pump, do you mean you would prefer not to pump at work? What about pumping at home? Some moms find they can get what they need if they pump while baby is nursing. Is this an option?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE.

"A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three."
    Grantly Dick-Read

How much do you think he will actually nurse during that time? How much do you think you will still be able to nurse when together. You don't really 'have' to pump if you think he will still nurse at least 3-4 times when you are together b/c as long as he's doing that you don't need to add additional dairy/calcium sources. You may want to bring a pump for comfort though jic you get full. I know a lot of moms who didnt pump after 1 but it's really up to what you are comfortable doing.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

What would happen when you get home after your shift ends? Do you co-sleep now? I'm thinking that if you come home and snuggle up to your baby, he can nurse during the night while you are both sleeping.
    At this age you might not need to pump at all, as long as you are available when you are home. You may want to pump once during working hours just to be comfortable and keep up your supply better, but I doubt you'd need to do this for very long...maybe a few months? The good think is that our babies and our bodies are pretty adaptable. This sounds like a good opportunity for you.

How much do you think he will actually nurse during that time? How much do you think you will still be able to nurse when together.
    Right now he nurses 2 times during that time.

What would happen when you get home after your shift ends? Do you co-sleep now? I'm thinking that if you come home and snuggle up to your baby, he can nurse during the night while you are both sleeping.
    I know that he will nurse right when I get home and he will probably get up a couple times at night to nurse. We do not co sleep anymore, when he was on the NG feeding tube at night it just wasn't working. Now he has to sleep in his crib, (its the only way he'll fall asleep and stay asleep)

I think considering the previous slow weight gain, in your position I would try to pump if possible at work (at least 1 time) so that DS gets a little fattier milk. Then again, he may adjust to nursing and getting all he needs while you are home.
    This is a concern of mine, I don't want to drastically change anything in his eating habits right now since we just got him back on track and gaining weight.

Now that I've thought about it more I'm realizing I probably need to pump once because I'll probably get pretty full, with my commute I'll be away from him for 9 hours, and he never goes that long in between feedings and neither do I. Thank you everyone for your input, I'm thinking I will try to pump once during work for the first few months and then try to drop that pumping session in a few months after we've both had time to adjust to this schedule. I'm just a little worried because even though he doesn't seem to be a comfort nurser I've noticed that at night it's what helps him get to sleep, even if he only nurses for a couple of minutes. I'm just hoping to make the transition as easy as possible for him, me and for DH (he's going to have a lot on his hands taking care of all 3 kids every night!)

Do you think I should try to pump over the next week and get him used to taking a sippy with BM instead of nursing at night before I start my job?
    Thanks everyone!