Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is night feedings ok at 14months??

Default Is night feedings ok at 14months??

My daughter is 14months old and I am still up 3 times give or take at night nursing her....I have had several nasty comments about this. They say she doesnt need it and say its me??? I am so confused! Please help!!!

Default Re: Is night feedings ok at 14months??

Is night feeding okay at 14 months? You bet it is! If it's okay with you, that is. It certainly won't harm your child.

Not too many moms are so generous that they don't resent month after month after month of night feedings. When people give criticism on the subject of night feedings, they are often projecting their own negative feelings about it onto you. But you are not required to share that negativity!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much! I dont want to quit nursing her at night although I do wish I could get some more ZZZzzz's. lol I am a single mom to five kiddos and share a bed with my baby! I love nursing and hate that she will grow up and stop someday...just not wanting it to be today! LOL Is it normal for moms to nurse thru the night at this age though???

We co-sleep too and I nurse my 16 month old during the night. If you are fine with it that's all that matters. I just don't tell anyone b/c I don't want to hear the dumb comments they have to say. When asked if she sttn I just say "yup" b/c she technically doesn't "get up" as I respond before she can.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My DS is 13 months and still nurses quite a lot at night. We co-sleep as well.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kjannj5 View Post
    Is it normal for moms to nurse thru the night at this age though???
    Absolutely. It just isn't done much in our society because we tend not to share beds with our kids and because even the most devoted moms tend to just give out after a certain period of time.

But if you are happy to continue on night-nursing, more power to you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If its fine with you then it's totally ok. I still nurse my 14 month old daughter during the night. We don't co-sleep, but she usually wakes once during the night and can't resettle on her own (probably would if I just left her to cry it out but I'm not prepared to do that), so I go and give her a feed. Just recently she's started sleeping through on some nights, ie; not waking for a feed, but it's the rarity not the norm.

I also have got some negative responses to this, and am selective who I tell, as the general thought around this seems to be that they don't "need" the food, so why should you be giving it at night. To be honest, I like the night cuddles, it's so quiet and still, and about the only time she's not crawling around the place, so I get a good cuddle.

I couldn't handle 3 times a night, but I guess co-sleeping makes that much more convenient, as you don't have to get up yourself.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Thanks everyone!!! The comment has been that "she doesnt need it" a lot. I enjoy the quiet also durning night feeds and the cuddling! I have 5 kids and the other 4 grew up so fast and I didnt take time for night feeds then. ALSO....I dont think I can tell her NO if I had tooo....cant take those tears!

You have to do what is right for your LO and yourself. Every toddler is different, some of them NEED the night nursings. We did it until 15 months then nightweaned, but then I was very flexible for teething.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My LO is 23 months + a couple days. She still wakes almost hourly to nurse (co-sleeping here, too). I'm so exhausted after 23 months, though! LOL! SOOO tired! I'm starting trying to nightwean.

Keep up the good work, mama! Wish you a lot of energy to keep it up, especially w/ 5 kiddos! You rock!