Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be weaning my 11 month old??

Default Should I be weaning my 11 month old??

Hello. My son will be 11 mths old next wk and he is still nursing 3-4 times a night (including early AM before I go to work), twice in the evening (after I get home from work) and takes about 4-8 ozs of breast milk out of a sippy cup from the sitter (he has never taken a bottle, we did the reverse nursing, I should say he decided that, . He is only eating about 1 1/2 jar's of baby food (middle sized jars), and does some snacking here and there on table food (what we're having for dinner), dry cereal and crackers. I don't know what to do and if he should not be nursing so much at his age. I don't have a problem with the night nursing (we co-sleep in a big bed!!) except for the concern of cavaties. I have two older kids that I didn't nurse (which I regret every day knowing what I know now), so by this time they were both eating tons of table foods and only drinking one or two bottles of formula a day. I don't want to wean yet, but I feel like he should be eating more from the table than what he is. Also, I have a lot of people judging my situation. I have just started yesterday cutting my pumping session's at work to only once, instead of twice a day. I sent out over 300 ozs of donated milk to the Milk Bank of Ohio and I almost cried thinking about loosing the ability to supply miilk to them and to my baby. Please help!! It just breaks my heart thinking about it and giving up that special time, but I want the best for him for the age he is!
    Last edited by @llli*braylon31mom; September 24th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Default Re: Should I be weaning my 11 month old??

No, I don't think you need to. My 11 month old is pretty much the same as yours and I don't plan on weaning her at all!! Well, maybe before she goes to college...

There's no need to wean if you and your baby are enjoying the situation as is! THere are many benefits, for both you and baby if you continue to nurse. For eample...the AAP guideline is "at least to 1 year..." then as long as mom and baby want to continue. Your milk will not just magically stop offering him all the wonderful benefits it has up to this point. And the longer you nurse the more added bonus you get as well.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Should he be eating more table food/baby food at this stage? Also are you still nursing as much??

This resource has quite a few links talking about solids and nurtition as they grow older.

Oh and with regard to cavities - there is no increased risk for them with nursing at night... see more here

Also - if you start getting the question when when when? With regard to weaning - just brush up on all the benefits (here)and rattle one or two off and finish it with... "we're not done with this aspect of our relationship yet... isn't it great!"
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*braylon31mom View Post
    Should he be eating more table food/baby food at this stage? Also are you still nursing as much??
    No, not necessarily. According to my pediatrician, who breastfed one of her kids and formula-fed the other and has no prejudices either way, breastmilk (or formula) is all the baby really needs until the first birthday, and until that point solids are really only just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not nutritionally necessary. After the first birthday, solids make up an increasingly important part of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only milk to needing a ton of solids is a gradual one. Babies don't go to sleep on day 364 needing only milk and wake up on day 365 needing 3 square meals.

I know my kid did not eat more than a teaspoon or two of solids per day until she was around 14-15 months old, and she never had any ill effects from it. So it sounds to me like your child's solid food intake is more than adequate for his age.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with Eme. I may not be up to date but I believe the WHO still suggests nursing until 2 years old. I am still nursing my son who will be 2 in a few weeks , we do it because it's good for him, good for me and we BOTH still enjoy it (as you described!) Now I was pumping everyday at work as well and once he turned 1 I did slowly pump wean (for my own sanity). Now we nurse in the morning, when I pick him up from daycare, before bedtime and during the day on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    with Eme. I may not be up to date but I believe the WHO still suggests nursing until 2 years old. I am still nursing my son who will be 2 in a few weeks , we do it because it's good for him, good for me and we BOTH still enjoy it (as you described!) Now I was pumping everyday at work as well and once he turned 1 I did slowly pump wean (for my own sanity). Now we nurse in the morning, when I pick him up from daycare, before bedtime and during the day on weekends.
    More from the WHO

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

I had the same type of situation with mine. He is now almost 3. He nursed more at night than in the day at that age. i think when we work and they are away from us, they just want that comfort time at night and make up for not nursing in the daytime. I pumped also. Unfortunately- after he reached a certain age, people just assumed I had weaned him....so I didn't tell them any different! You probably won't have to pump as much pretty soon, so that will help. But we nursed basically when we were together. at home, on weekends, etc. I kind of just pumped at home also when I could. BUT- the main idea is to DO IT AS LONG AS YOU BOTH ENJOY IT! It is hard to give up. I miss it! Good luck and go with your Mommy instincts!
    bennymama:

Thanks all of you for your comments and support. I think when you're doing something that not everyone agree's with, it makes you question yourself. But even as I was writing the post earlier today, I think I answered my own questions. It just feels better to have other's in the same situations agree with you. So, thanks again. And I will continue to enjoy nursing him for as along as it's right for the both of us! Take care.