Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is it OK to pump wean?

Default When is it OK to pump wean?

I am a working mom of one-year-old twins. They have been completely nursed for the last year, with me pumping 2-3 times a day while I am at work. My daughters definitely aren't ready to wean, but I'm so ready to dump the pump routine at work. I've read about women stopping pumping after a year and continuing to nurse, but I'm so scared of screwing things up.

Here is our current routine as of this week:
    6 a.m. pump
    7:30 a.m. nurse
    1 p.m. pump
    6 p.m. nurse (then the girls go to bed and sleep 13 hours)

I am thinking about dropping the 1 p.m. pumping session pretty soon as my production at it is already surprisingly low lately and just keeping the early morning session. Then on days I'm with the girls not pump at all (right now I still pump before they wake up on weekends) so they have more milk throughout the day. I am not willing to night nurse because I don't want to mess with their sleep, but I am willing to pump before I go to bed, if that will help me maintain enough production.

I'm conflicted about meeting the needs of my girls and trying to take care of my own needs. No one has said anything at work and everyone has been great about my pumping routine up to now, but I don't want to push it, and frankly I'm just tired of it.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share?

Default Re: When is it OK to pump wean?

I just dropped from 3 pumpings to 2 this week while at work... although I am getting the same amount out in 2 pumpings that I got in 3.

My girl is 11 months old, so I'm planning to do the 2 pumpings a day until she's 12 months, then go down to one and try to use up my freezer supply.

My old pumping schedule was 7:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 3:30 PM

My new one is: 9:30 AM, 1:30 PM

If you're not getting much out at 1 pm, you would probably be safe to drop that one... I think it might take a couple days, but your body should get used to it. I'm not sure if it will impact your supply or not...

And wow on the sleep. 13 hours in a row - Amazing!!

That's about what I'm doing, I'm just wondering if I will still be able to nurse them normally - four times a day on the weekend.

Until the girls were 10.5 months old I fed them around 10 p.m. and I stopped doing that when they started getting really upset when I'd put them back to bed. I think they were just screaming at me to stop waking them up because when I skipped the 10 p.m. feeding they slept through and we haven't done it since. They really are amazing sleepers though. They also take two naps for a total of 3 hours each. I attribute it to my months of bedrest. They think that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ut.ferrara View Post
    I attribute it to my months of bedrest. They think that's normal.

Not sure if you meant that as a joke, but I thought it was funny

I understand being nervous about being able to feed them on the weekends, I'm nervous too. But I've seen lots of people on here and two that I know at work who stopped pumping during the day and were fine on weekends and at night. I think it will be ok...

Were you waking them up to feed them at 10 pm? I am SOOOO jealous of you! My daughter wakes up and wants to nurse 3 to 8 times a night!

I was nervous about pump weaning but figured that if I needed to I could ADD pumping sessions back in again.

I pump weaned when DS was 16 mo and went on to bf until he was 33 mo old.

I found that my supply adjusted to nursing on weekends and not on weekdays when I was at work.

For the first couple weeks after I pump weaned I'd be very "full" on Mondays at work. I just hand-expressed a little for comfort as needed. Within a couple of weeks my body seemed to have figured it out.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for everyone's input. That does help a lot. And yes, my comment about the bedrest was a joke.

I'll be honest, it was never, never my intent to night wean the girls, but when they were 6-months old and we had gone from them getting up only once a night at 3 months to getting up every 2-3 hours a night and there were TWO of them doing this at different times, I was at a breaking point. On the advice of my pedi and the OB/phychiatrist I was seeing at the time for dealing with post-partum/NICU stress, we cried it out. I stopped responding to them during the night, but started proactively feeding them at 10 p.m. because it wasn't OK with me to go from 3-4 nursings a night to 12 hours with none, and I knew they could make it 8 hours without milk because they had done for weeks very early on.

It was a very rough couple of weeks for us, but after that life with twins got to be much more enjoyable and managable for our whole family. The girls started napping better during the day after that too because they were more rested from the more consolidated sleep at night. I think it was the best thing for us at the time and a much better alternative to weaning altogether.