Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preparing to wean at one...advice

Default preparing to wean at one...advice

hi everyone,

as with my first daughter, i'd like to wean my 2nd daughter around when she turns one, nothing cold turkey...just slowly. i kind of forgot how i did it with my first daughter so am looking for advice. right now, she's almost 10 months. i bf her on average 6 times a day and she gets 2 meals.

so, should i just start cutting the bf sessions down and replace with solids. right now, i bf before giving solids. what did you do?

also, unlike with my first daughter, i think i'm going to have issues with comfort nursing at night. how did you deal with that.

thanks in advance.

Default Re: preparing to wean at one...advice

Do you want your child totally weaned on day 365, or are you willing to go a couple weeks/months beyond the first birthday? Ideally, breastmilk or formula are supposed to be a baby's primary source of nutrition until she turns one, so if you start to cut down on nursing sessions now, at 10 months, you're going to want to a) supplement with formula or b) be really careful about your baby's diet and make sure she gets plenty of calcium and healthy fats (think whole milk yogurt, leafy greens, and avocado).

Still, you may be able to cut out a couple nursing sessions before age 1... I think the usual suggestion is that if an older baby (>1 year old) is nursing 3-4 times a day, then her dairy needs are being met. I think that starting to offer solids 3 times a day, and not nursing before offering the solids, will probably get you down to 4-5 nursing sessions/day instead of 6.

In regards to night-weaning, yeah, that's an issue for a lot of us! You might want to try out the methods in Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution, and if that doesn't work, try the Dr. Jay Gordon method.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    In regards to night-weaning, yeah, that's an issue for a lot of us! You might want to try out the methods in Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution, and if that doesn't work, try the Dr. Jay Gordon method.
    Mommal -

I have a question for you. Do you think the Jay Gordon method would work for trying for just a 5 hour stretch of sleep, or does it have to be for the whole night? Would it be too confusing for a baby if they go to bed at 7 pm and you allowed them to nurse whenever they want until 1 am and then not again until 6 am? I guess I'm concerned that they would wonder why you let them nurse sometimes but not others... or would you send Dad in there for the non-nursing comfort times so that baby would associate mom with nursing (obvious) and Dad with not nursing? My girl is 11 months old and I'm considering doing this when she turns 1 if she doesn't stop the every 45 to 90 minute night nursings...

Thanks! And sorry to OP.

Tracie

Actually, I do think the Dr. Jay method can work if your goal is just partial night-weaning. When I used my "homebrew" method- which was a lot like the Jay Gordon method- my goal was just to get one good stretch of sleep from my daughter, who was waking every 1-2 hours ALL. NIGHT. LONG. I was going INSANE.

Anyway, the first night I tried, DD slept from 9:30 until 3:00, which was the longest stretch of sleep I'd have in 6 months. She woke at 3:00, nursed, and went back to sleep until 7:00 or so. Bliss. Sheer bliss.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree that you can use that method for partial night weaning. That's what I did with my daughter at 18mo. I think we started by just not nursing when she woke from 11pm to 3am and increased it by an hour over time but she started sleeping longer once she got the idea that we weren't nursing back to sleep.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

The way I gently weaned Clayton, started with nursing him to sleep and then not nursing the rest of the night, then again nursed him in the am. Slowly taking away daytime and naptime sessions til we were down to just before bed at 15 months. I had no milk by then, and just stopped offering that session, and after a day or two, he never asked.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    I agree that you can use that method for partial night weaning. That's what I did with my daughter at 18mo. I think we started by just not nursing when she woke from 11pm to 3am and increased it by an hour over time but she started sleeping longer once she got the idea that we weren't nursing back to sleep.
    So it doesn't seem like it was confusing to her that if she woke up before 11 pm you would nurse, but after 11 pm you would not?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Actually, I do think the Dr. Jay method can work if your goal is just partial night-weaning. When I used my "homebrew" method- which was a lot like the Jay Gordon method- my goal was just to get one good stretch of sleep from my daughter, who was waking every 1-2 hours ALL. NIGHT. LONG. I was going INSANE.

Anyway, the first night I tried, DD slept from 9:30 until 3:00, which was the longest stretch of sleep I'd have in 6 months. She woke at 3:00, nursed, and went back to sleep until 7:00 or so. Bliss. Sheer bliss.
    I bet that was sheer bliss.

Wow, great discussion. Thanks for the feedback.

No hard set date when she turns one. Just around that time. And I'll read up further on the recommended methods for night nursing weaning. Thanks.