Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning & baby won't drink milk.

Default Weaning & baby won't drink milk.

DS is 14 months old and since I went back to work full time 2 months ago, he's no longer bf during the day. He bf before bed, first thing in the morning and sometimes once in the middle of the night, although I'm trying to stop that. I'd like to soon wean altogether, but I'm really concerned about his nutrition. He eats solids ok...not great...and HATES milk...any milk. Loves cheese, yogurt and fruit, but is not keen on meats or veggies. He likes to eat on his own, so sometimes he really doesn't eat much. I'm so worried he's not getting enough vitamins, nutrients, etc. I'm so torn I don't want to BF for much longer, but I'm so concerned. How do I know he's getting what he needs?

Default Re: Weaning & baby won't drink milk.

Can you pump a little and give him a serving or two in a sippy cup to start, maybe slowly mixing in cows milk a little at a time until eventually what he is drinking is all cow?

Default Re: Weaning & baby won't drink milk.

If you're nursing around 3-4 times a day and he's eating a well rounded, recommended diet then he doesn't need milk. If you wean and he's eating a well rounded, recommended diet - he doesn't need milk.

basically, he doesn't 'need' to drink milk. They only need 2-3 serving of dairy aday... and I use the word need loosely humans don't need milk from any other animal. It's just an easy way to get some vitamins and protein.

Read more here and one time... actually write down everything he eats in a weeks time and compare it to what he actually "needs". It takes some time but it's so worth it. If you're offering healthy choices often, you can easily meet his needs w/o milk (or nursing).
    Last edited by @llli*number4; September 24th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.