Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle- to buy or not to buy

Default Freestyle- to buy or not to buy

Okay, so I already have a Medela PISA. However, since I EPed last time it was really starting to get weaker suction by the time I was done pumping. So, I'm considering buying a new pump. I am going back to work 6 weeks PP, and I will have to pump there. My workplace does provide very nice nursing mothers' rooms and they do have hospital grade pumps in the rooms, but the rooms are so in demand that sometimes it is necessary to share and for one mother to have her own pump. Also, when the baby is 6 months old, I will be moving and I do not believe my new place of work (a school) will have a good place for me to pump and I'll definitely have to have my own.

So, I noticed the Freestyle is pricier than the PISA, but is it worth it if I'm pumping 2-4 times a day? It seems like from looking at the product weights on Target that it is way smaller and way lighter. Is it a big difference? If it is a lot lighter it might really be worth it for me if I have to park far away and carry books and pumping stuff to class every day.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Freestyle- to buy or not to buy

I would have to agree. I've been using the Freestyle for the last five months and don't give the hands free component good marks. But it's a great size and very portable.

I just bought a Freestyle but haven't used it yet.

If your PISA is having suction problems - perhaps try calling Medela customer service. When I called them they were GREAT at helping me over the phone and ended up sending me a new pump motor.

If you do decide to get a Freestyle - see if the store is doing Medela's rebate program. I brought in my PISA to be returned to Medela and got $40 off a new Freestyle.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I just bought a Freestyle but haven't used it yet.

If your PISA is having suction problems - perhaps try calling Medela customer service. When I called them they were GREAT at helping me over the phone and ended up sending me a new pump motor.

If you do decide to get a Freestyle - see if the store is doing Medela's rebate program. I brought in my PISA to be returned to Medela and got $40 off a new Freestyle.
    Let me know how you like your Freestyle when you do try it!

As far as Medela, I have had to call customer service before and they have helped me with the troubleshooting, and when it was still under warranty they did send me a new one. Their customer service is really great. I did so much pumping when I EPed that it is normal that the suction has died a bit on this one. I think it's a great pump, but not made for that kind of long-term frequent use. I hope I don't have to pump as much this time!

Thanks for the tip on the rebate program! That would be awesome if I could get some money back on the old one.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Just wanted to add that I my Freestyle, and I actually liked the hands-free setup as well. It had a bit of a "learning curve" to get it to be really comfortable, but once I got there I even pumped while driving.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Sorta OT but I think most insurance plans will cover a new pump every 5 years (or so)... Might be worth checking into!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

I whined about mine after I bought it, but now that my body is adjusted to it, I get more milk using the freestyle than the hand me down pis from my sil.

I like the hands free component, with the bra clips. The pumping bustier kept sliding and shifting (do you wear them over your bra?), but the clips hold everything in place. Also, the tubes stay in place more securely, so when I shift around at my desk during pumping, everything still stays plugged in.

It's pricey, but I'm happy with it. Target online has it cheaper than in stores, and if you do a registry, you can use your registry completion coupon towards it. Also, AAA has a discount with Target online. I think there is also a baby store people mention on here that has it cheap, but you have to call in to get the price. Maybe search the previous freestyle threads for that info.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smudgycat View Post
    I think there is also a baby store people mention on here that has it cheap, but you have to call in to get the price. Maybe search the previous freestyle threads for that info.
    It's bestbuybaby.com.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I love my Freestyle, too, but I've never used anything else so I can't compare. It is very light and small and the battery life is great. I pump 2-3 times a day 4 days a week and only have to charge it every other week or so. I also don't use the hands-free hookup b/c I think it takes too long to hook up, and I am able to pump pretty quickly so I just hold the horns. I got mine on E-bay (new) for around $250 with shipping. It was through an E-bay store but don't remember which one.

I don't really care too much about the hands-free feature, I just think it might be nice to have something lighter to carry since currently I have to walk pretty far from my car to work and I might have to do that when I move and start school in June too. I have a big chunk of money coming to me in a few weeks, so I think I'll probably invest in one.
    Beth