Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/Storage help??

Default Pumping/Storage help??

Hello -

I am a first time Mom (my daughter is 2 weeks old) and I have a pumping/storage question...

Sometimes (twice so far) my daughter as fallen asleep early in a feeding (normally late at night) and has left me at least half full. I pump to empty but only get maybe 2 ounces.

So, here is my question - can I store this bottle in the fridge and add to it later? If so, how much later? Does it matter if I switch breasts?

Thank you so much for your help and advice!!

(Side note: Is it too soon for me to be pumping? I don't do it more than once a day, but I don't want to screw up my milk supply. I am not giving my daughter any bottles yet - I just want to make sure we have some milk ready when it's time. Thanks!)

Default Re: Pumping/Storage help??

Welcome to LLL! Congratulations on your new baby!

When your milk has cooled, you can combine the milk you pump in a day (or 12-24 hour period) into one container. However, most moms store pumped milk in 2-4 oz portions, because that is the normal amount of a feeding.
    It doesn't matter which breast(s) the milk comes from.

Here are milk storage guidelines from LLL:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Regarding if it's too soon to be pumping....what are you needing pumped milk for? Will you be returning to work? How soon?

For working, while it's nice to have a small stash in the freezer, you really only need one day's worth of milk. The milk you pump on Monday becomes the bottles for Tuesday....the milk pumped on Friday becomes the bottles for Monday, etc. You want to make sure that your pump works for you, but there's usually no need to pump huge quantities beforehand.

If you are not returning to work, you may not need to pump at all. Some moms like to have a little milk on hand in the freezer, but it's not completely necessary.

Does this answer your question or does it raise more?

SO HELPFUL! Thank you!!

I will be returning to work in a few weeks and my husband is going to become a SAHD - hence the need for bottles.

thank you again!!!

Here is a great calculator for how much milk your baby will need while you're away.

I don't think that it's too soon to be pumping, as long as you're not doing it many many times a day. In fact, I would urge you to build up a little freezer stash. For me, having some milk in the freezer was a huge psychological help. I only had to dip into my stash a couple of times, and then only a little, but knowing that it was there if I needed it helped me to relax (and, ironically, have an easier time pumping).

If you have a double pump (and if you're returning to work, I sure hope that you do!), you can combine the milk from both breasts into a single bottle right after you finish pumping. That's what I did, to minimize the amount I had to carry/clean/fit in the cooler/fridge. I pumped 3x/day, and I brought 4 bottles. After the first pumping, I combined the bottles into one and put the full and emptied bottles in the fridge (since the emptied one had milk residue in it & I didn't wash it), same with the 2nd pumping, and then the 3rd pumping would stay in 2 bottles since it was the last one of the day.

! It is so great that your DH will be staying home, so that your LO is still with family!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png