Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Screaming after each feed.

Default Screaming after each feed.

Hi,

We are having real problems with our baby screaming for sometimes over an hour after breastfeeding (and only after feeding).
    We are trying our best to locate the cause of this but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. We have considered GERD (Acid reflux) and there is a strong connection to him 'puking up inside' and a sour expression on his face and then uncontrollable painful screaming, with legs pulled up to body, clenched fists, hitting out, arching back. We do everything we can to console him but nothing works. We sleep him at a 30 degree angle, we burp conciously after every feed, we hold up right, and hold him in a harness upright alot of the day.

My wife also seems to overproduce and have OALD, we have tried many different ways to slow the rate down, (expressing a bit at first). We are seeing alot of dirty nappies and at one point baby was nursing every 1-2 hours. Baby has put on 500g within 6 days. My wife is constantly leaking milk, and we are a bit afraid he is only getting lactose rich foremilk and never getting to the hindmilk, which is making him gassy.

We have cut out all milk from my wifes diet, with no immediate affects (baby is 16 days old now and has suffered this problem since day 2).

We also have tried Minifom (a prescription free colic medication) which is a way to breakup all the gas in the tummy, with no luck.

Personally, I see our baby Reflux, and scream 5 seconds later and not stop so I cannot help link it to that (He doesn't throw up so often maybe 2-3 times a day but not such big throw ups).

Talking to the health pros here they just reply either 'yeah all babies have reflux he'll grow out of it' or that the baby has been overfed due to overproduction (denying baby the milk leads to long high screaming sessions also).

We are at wits ends, and don't seem to be getting much help or sleep, any ideas, guides?

(by the way , I am not the mother as you may have guessed but the father, I am sure the mother would write here if she had the time and energy I hope you will bare with us on this one!)

Default Re: Screaming after each feed.

Hi!
    Congratulations on your LO and also on coming here to support you wife in this endeavor of breastfeeding!!!
    #1 it sounds like based on the diaper output as well as the weight gain that your child is getting enough.

#2 all babies that are this little can "spit up" and that is no big deal becaue the sphincters that hold everything in thier tummies are not fully developed yet so stuff does come back up and that is more of a laundry problem than anything else. However that is very different from Reflux where a baby can't keep anything down and causes burning in the throat and therefore pain to the baby. I don't have any experience w/ that personally but I know a lot of women here do so hopefully someone w/experience in that will show up and chime in on that.

#3 Some of what you are describing does in fact sound like reflux...but some of it sound like a "high needs' or sensitive baby. For that I recoommend a wrap or sling versus a Bijorn or snugli type holder. Just becaue at this age what he may be craving is just closeness to his mother and an environment that mimics the womb.

Again I'm sure someone else will chime in but We are always so pleased to see fathers supporting this very important effort. Good luck!

Thanks DJ's Mom,
    Yeah we have a "Baby Bjorn" (we live in sweden) we can look into the slings thanks for idea. I am inclined to agree re: reflux, having read other forums doctors are way to keen to start throwing strong drugs at it (zantac etc) I think i'd prefer him growing out of it. Although milk overproduction has very similiar symptoms as reflux (screaming after/during feeds, lots of spitting up etc)..

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    #3 Some of what you are describing does in fact sound like reflux...but some of it sound like a "high needs' or sensitive baby. For that I recoommend a wrap or sling versus a Bijorn or snugli type holder. Just becaue at this age what he may be craving is just closeness to his mother and an environment that mimics the womb.

Again I'm sure someone else will chime in but We are always so pleased to see fathers supporting this very important effort. Good luck!

What you're describing does sound like reflux to me. Our DS was diagnosed at 6wks though hindsight tells me he had been dealing with it, basically since birth. Prior to the 6wk diagnosis our ped just labeled him with "colic" b/c he screamed unconsolably for hours on end. It is true that your LO will grow out of it but there are medications that can help make it more bearable for your LO and you. I know of one child who had reflux so severe that it made her hoarse from the damage it did to her throat. I would find a ped willing to try treatment. The meds are generally very safe. DS started out on Zantac and the dose has been increased several times. We are in the process of changing to Prevacid b/c the Zantac does not seem to be effective anymore.

It sounds like you have been hit with a double whammee; reflux and OALD. I don't know much about OALD but it might be that your wife's body is still adjusting. That can take about 6 wks for the supply/demand balance to happen. Has she tried block feeding? That might ensure that baby gets the hind milk which may decrease the gas production as well as slow down supply.
    Last edited by luke's mom; September 15th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Hi Luke's mom,

Yeah we have tried block feeding (only one breast sometimes 3-4 times in a row). Unfortunately that leads to severe engorgement and plugged ducts on the other, which we eventually have to pump just to get comfy. We might start trying to pump to release the initial pressure too.I think you are probably right about the double whammy, certainly nothing helps when it's a screaming fit caused by the refluxing sound (we tried pacifiers which seemed to stop the fit but now he spits it out, or pushes our hand away to stop us putting it in at only 17 days old!).
    Feels such a shame that his first three weeks on the planet have been tinged by sadness and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom
    What you're describing does sound like reflux to me. Our DS was diagnosed at 6wks though hindsight tells me he had been dealing with it, basically since birth. Prior to the 6wk diagnosis our ped just labeled him with "colic" b/c he screamed unconsolably for hours on end. It is true that your LO will grow out of it but there are medications that can help make it more bearable for your LO and you. I know of one child who had reflux so severe that it made her hoarse from the damage it did to her throat. I would find a ped willing to try treatment. The meds are generally very safe. DS started out on Zantac and the dose has been increased several times. We are in the process of changing to Prevacid b/c the Zantac does not seem to be effective anymore.

It sounds like you have been hit with a double whammee; reflux and OALD. I don't know much about OALD but it might be that your wife's body is still adjusting. That can take about 6 wks for the supply/demand balance to happen. Has she tried block feeding? That might ensure that baby gets the hind milk which may decrease the gas production as well as slow down supply.

Don't feel like that! Keep the baby swaddled and get a wrap or sling as soon as possible! LOTS of babies are like this when they 1st get here. Think of it more as being SENSITIVE and easily excitable crying is the only way he has to communicate. Some babies are NOT ready to be away from there mothers for any length of time for the 1st 3 months or so. If not in a wrap keep the baby swaddled and do as much as possible to mimic the womb. Bounce or jiggle and make the SSHHing noise right in his ear. And she should just be prepared to wear him as much as possible. You'd be amazed at what the sound of his mother's heartbeat can do to calm him down. Keep fighting the good fight and just know that these initial struggles both w/breastfeeding and colic WILL pass.
    (((HUGS))) to your whole family.