Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breasts not getting empty

Default Breasts not getting empty

I pump 3x a day - 3 days a week (at work), and nurse the rest of the time. Today and Monday when I have been pumping, I feel like I am not getting my breasts as empty as usual. I use a Medela PISA, and I double pump for 20 minutes at each session.

Since my girls are so tiny, I can't massage or do compressions during pumping because my whole breast is in the horn.

Any other suggestions to help get it all out? I do realize that they are never truly "empty", but they used to get more empty than they are now!

Thanks!

Default Re: Breasts not getting empty

I can't be of any help to answer your question but I too feel like I don't always get all the milk out. I will pump for 15 or so minutes and still get drops here and there. I guess they never really empty all the way.
    Mommy to an amazing boy born August 2008 and a wonderful girl born July 2009.

our son for two years now.

for three months...going strong!

Are you seeing a decreasing amount of milk? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about getting your breasts fully emptied.

However, there are some things you can do which may help, including:
    - Pump more frequently.
    - Try a different pump. Not all pumps work equally well for all women.
    - Bring an article of your baby's worn clothing to smell while you pump, and a picture of your baby to look at- sometimes that stimulates a mom to let down more easily.
    - Make sure you have the right size of breast shields to ensure maximum stimulation and milk removal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

After pumping, I would still have spots that were hard - like getting plugged ducts on both sides, but not painful. But then when I would get home to nurse, the hard spots would go away. But then two days later when I pumped again, I had the hard spots until he nursed. He's 6 months, so we've been doing this a while, and I never noticed it happening before.

Supply has been a major issue for us, and he is being supplemented with one bottle of formula while I am at work. I haven't noticed any decrease, but if there's more in there I want to get it out!!

So far, today has been back to normal. No hard spots!

Thanks for the tips! I give them a shot if it starts happening again!
    Last edited by @llli*rg716; September 28th, 2009 at 08:42 AM.