Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting to pump at 4 1/2 months... will it work?

Default starting to pump at 4 1/2 months... will it work?

hi. I haven't pumped at all, but now I'm in a position where I'll need to start pumping enough while I work part-time. Probably two feedings a day, I'd guess. I'm nervous about this because everytime I've tried, I only get an ounce---at most. What can I do to increase my milk supply? Start pumping like mad and hope my body adjusts?

Any advice, suggestions, help, encouragement would be awesome. thanks.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Default Re: starting to pump at 4 1/2 months... will it work?

help... please.

what's your pumping schedule?
    should i just start pumping + bagging... ? freeze, or just put it in the fridge?

... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

What can I do to increase my milk supply? Start pumping like mad and hope my body adjusts?
    Yup, pumping like mad is a great first step to increasing supply. The more frequently you remove milk, and the more milk you remove, the faster your body will get the message that it needs to make more.

What sort of pump do you have? Not all pumps are created equal and if you're going to be pumping 2X per day you may want to invest in something pretty good. I'm thinking Ameda Purely Yours or better.

You could also try the usual milk increasing herbs: oatmeal, fenugreek, and blessed thistle.

Good luck!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can do it! I went back to work at 3 months pp. You will probably get more milk when you are pumping to replace feedings when you are at work. So what you get now isn't really a good indicator. I'd start pumping now to build up enough of a stash for when you first go to work. when I was pumping I pumped at 10, nursed at 12 and pumped again at 3. It will be an adjustment at first so don't be surprised if LO starts out taking way more milk than you can make. Look at kellymom.com she's got great info on pumping, and bottle feeding a BF baby. Good Luck.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

First of all, here is a calculator for how much bm your baby will need while you're gone.

Secondly, you can do it! Pumping isn't nearly as fun as nursing, but it's not as tricky, either. If you're trying to build up a stash, I would add a pumping session first thing in the morning (which is when your milk supply is the highest), either 30-45 minutes before or after your LO's first morning feeding. If you pump at the same time (approximately) every day, your body will see it as an "added" feeding and will start producing more milk at that time as well - supply and demand rocks! And remember - the pump isn't as efficient at emptying the breast as a baby. A good way to keep your supply up - and even increase it a little - is to pump for 5 minutes after the milk stops flowing. That tells your body that the "baby is still hungry", so it will make more than you took out, which will allow you to take the same amount out the next time (bearing in mind that when you finish pump-flowing, there's still milk in the breast).

Hopefully that made sense; it's a little late. Post back with more questions!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

thank you all so much for the suggestions + encouragement. i've already noticed an increase in milk supply just pumping for the last two days. i can do it!!! very exciting.

off to check out that awesome calculator.