Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping problem

Default Pumping problem

Hi! I'm a newbie in this forum and I hope I could seek some guidance from this community.

First of all, I'm a first time mom to my DS who's currently 5 mo. old. He weighs 15lbs and has been EBF since birth.

I've started pumping since DS turned a month. For the first 4 months of pumping, my milk supply has been pretty adequate on my right breast. Let down was fast and I could get an ave of 4-5 oz on the right breast alone. On the other end, the left breast seems a bit "slow" on milk supply as well as milk ejection while pumping. So what I do is let DS take the left breast most of the time and leave the right breast for pumping.

All seems to work fine and i was able to sustain my milk supply for 3-4 months.

when DS turned 4.5 months, I was ecstatic to notice that the slower left breast has finally picked up and was able to produce and eject more milk than usual (both Direct BF and pumping). The bummer is, the right breast which is the main source of most of my milk supply suddenly turn low. I could feel my breast is full and DS is clearly gulping milk on both sides of breasts whenever I directly BF. However when I pump, I can only pump 2-3 oz at a time and I have to spend more than an hour to get that amount of milk! One thing I noticed is, let down seems so difficult... and when I don't have a let down... there's only 1 stream flowing on my nipple... and a faint stream! Whereas before, even without letdown, at least I have 3-5 streams of milk flowing out of my nipple.

I tried several relaxing techniques as read from LLL books and stuff but I can't seem to see any improvements. Milk supply doesn't seem to be a problem here. I've been using the same pump ever since (Medela Swing Pump) although I noticed that the suction is not as strong as before. I'm not sure what is the problem. I tried to manually express milk and again, it's the same result (weak flow and only 1 stream flowing at a time).

Just to add a few more info, I'm definitely sure I'm not pregnant (as there hasn't been any contact ever since). I'm not on any medication although I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when DS turned 4 months. But then again, milk supply doesn't seem to be the problem. Could it be the pump? Or some other reason?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Pumping problem

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Maybe the problem is a plugged duct? Or a pump whose motor is starting to go?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am not familiar with the swing, but are there membranes or anything like that on that particular pump? Could it be that the membranes are wearing out? I know that on my pump in style, I have to change the membranes every once in a while when I notice that my suction is not as strong as it usually is.

Also, I have one side that just produces less. It did with DD and does with DS.
    Robin