Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain

Default Weight gain

Hi all, my DS is 9 months old and just fell off his growth curve. Well, actually, he's probably been trending down over the last few months since he started solids. He was at the 40th %ile for height and weight at 6 months; yesterday we went in for his 9 month check up and he's 10% for weight, 20% for height. The pediatrician is not overly concerned; said that he was essentially height weight proportional and meeting all his other developmental milestones (which he is, many early). He's a happy, cheerful bright little boy, but I worry.

In the last three months, my supply has dropped dramatically, such that I can't keep up with him while I work and we're supplementing. He also has started solids, and started moving a ton.

I feel a tremendous amount of guilt. I'm doing my best, but along with all the other guilt of not seeing him enough, not being able to pump enough, not being able to be there when I want to be, now that he's shrinking it's making me feel even worse.

Overall, I know he's okay, it's me that's struggling. We're going to try and encourage more intake for him, but we'll see. Hopefully he won't be a skinny minnie forever.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Default Re: Weight gain

NO worries mama. That "fall' off their growth curve is typical for that age Even for moms who's situation is different than yours

You can read more about their growth and what's typical here.

If you're finding trouble pumping enough see this link - it might help
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.