Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: she cries when I pick her up...

Default she cries when I pick her up...

I think it's a form of separation anxiety maybe? She grins really big and crawls over to me when I get to the babysitter's house, but then she starts crying and last night she really freaked out. I couldn't calm her down, although I think she may have calmed down if I nursed her. However, I haven't nursed her at the babysitter's house because it's only 5 minutes from our house, and she has bottle refusal issues. I didn't want her to associate nursing with the babysitter's house at all because I can't go over there during the day.

Anyone else go through this? I feel like she sees me and then remembers that I left her there all day and starts crying. It made me feel so awful.

Default Re: she cries when I pick her up...

my guy did this for the first few weeks and it just ripped my heart from my body. I nurse him when I get there though because it's another half hour to home and he's a frequent eater.

I don't have much and I'm sorry mama. I know this feeling and it sucks

How old is your LO?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

She's 11 months. She has started getting into a phase where she cries when I put her down. I know she has fun at the sitter's house, I just wish she wouldn't cry when she sees me... I feel like she's saying "oh yeah! you left me here all day!"

yeah sounds like seperation anxiety to me. Something I teach the mamas here is that when babes do that, they are looking for comfort from you and definitely give them comfort but in a new way. Instead of picking them up and saying Awwww sweetie it's ok and really buying into the anxiety with your tone of voice try smiling really big and saying "No Problem!" like there is just nothing to be afraid of and go on to talk to the babysitter while scooping her up. It's hard to type this out and have it make sense! Make your movements with her carefree and happy, not protective and sad. This works a lot with the mamas I work with but I don't know if I'm explaining it right...ugh. babies look to parents to understand what is happening in thier life until they understand it themselves. Teach her less anxiety by showing her less anxiety....I hope that didn't sound dumb...blerg.

On a side note, do you have trust that she is being treated well? I don't want to just ignore that possability either.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

No worries with the babysitter. I know she is well cared for and loved.

Good idea on what to do when I pick her up. She doesn't need me to feed into her feeling like she's been left behind all day. I do try to make it really fun when I drop her off, that's what I should do when I pick her up.

I figured on the baby sitter. We LLL moms are protective mamas!

I hope it gets better for you and your LO! Good luck mama
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I was going to ask how she was on drop off, but I think you are indicating that she is just fine! That's a grea thing! Now make it just as fun at drop off, but believe me, I totally understand it being heart breaking!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."