Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mos and interested in food

Default 4 mos and interested in food

my LO has a proper interest in food.if I'm breastfeeding him and I dare to munch on something he stops eating and starts staring at me open mouthed.he really wants it!!
    my ped said it's allright to give him apple or pear but...don't you think 4 months it's a little bit too early? or two months waiting will be too stressful for him?should I hide myself when I eat?

Default Re: 4 mos and interested in food

yes, 4 months is too young.

Baby's digestive system isn't ready for solids yet. Starting solids too early increases the risk of allergies and developing diabetes.

Here are some developmental signs that baby is ready:

baby is at least 6 months AND:
    -Baby can sit up well without support.
    -Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    -Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    -Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    -Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

More info HERE

Your breastmilk is enough mama
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Your lo isn't interested in the food. At 4 months babies are so much more aware of the world around them, and everything is SO interesting! He's just interested in what you're doing. At such a young age, he has no idea what food is and he doesn't associate it with hunger in the slightest. He doesn't know that when you are putting that interesting looking piece of food in your mouth that you are satiating hunger, he just wants to know what you're doing! Someone here when I was wondering the same things put it this way to me - if lo was reaching out for a can of Coke you wouldn't automatically give him some just because he was interested in it. Hey, the can of Coke just looks cool! Same goes for reaching for the car keys - he doesn't want to drive.

I definitely wouldn't start solids at 4 months, personally. Here's some interesting reading:

Why Delay Solids?

Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):
    World Health Organization
    UNICEF
    US Department of Health & Human Services
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Family Physicians
    American Dietetic Association
    Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    Health Canada

Most babies will become developmentally and physiologically ready to eat solids by 6-9 months of age. For some babies, delaying solids longer than six months can be a good thing; for example, some doctors may recommend delaying solids for 12 months if there is a family history of allergies.
    You can read the rest here

Some mamas like to give baby a bowl and spoon to play with so he can feel like he's a part of mealtimes and this is enough to keep them happy.

Hope that helps some!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

thanks eberybody! so as I thought our ped is out of date!I will try with the bowl and spoon playing it sounds fun!