Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I"m ready...

Default I think I"m ready...

...to wean from the pump. I have successfully dropped my session from work, but am still pumping on the way home. I think I can easily get rid of that one too. It's just been a struggle lately to pump enough for when I'm gone, and to be honest I'm totally burnt on pumping.

Guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. DD is almost 13 months now.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: I think I"m ready...

When I pump weaned I was totally burned out on pumping.

When I STOPPED pumping I found that I was re-energized about nursing DS for as long as he wanted.

I was a little freaked out about stopping pumping and had lots of "what ifs" running through my mind. I figured that if for some reason I needed to I could start pumping again.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post

When I pump weaned I was totally burned out on pumping.

When I STOPPED pumping I found that I was re-energized about nursing DS for as long as he wanted.

I was a little freaked out about stopping pumping and had lots of "what ifs" running through my mind. I figured that if for some reason I needed to I could start pumping again.
    That's a really good point. I am almost completly out of my freezer stash, so I think it's in the back of my head that if I stop pumping then she will not be getting bm when we are apart. I am still completly committed to nursing when we are together though, so I need to let that go.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Pumping is so different from nursing - I nursing, but the day I packed up my pump was a celebratory one! It was hard, too, because sending bm made me feel like I was still caring for him when I wasn't there. On the other hand, he was completely fine eating solids until we were reunited, and then he'd nurse a lot. The nice thing is that you are NOT weaning, so it's not a hard-to-undo decison; if you discover that you really need to have bm to send you can always start pumping again.

, mama!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

and

I'm currently struggling with when to stop pumping as well - I think it will likely be when Lilah is around 14 months old. But maybe sooner. Pumping is not that much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    Pumping is so different from nursing - I nursing, but the day I packed up my pump was a celebratory one! It was hard, too, because sending bm made me feel like I was still caring for him when I wasn't there. On the other hand, he was completely fine eating solids until we were reunited, and then he'd nurse a lot. The nice thing is that you are NOT weaning, so it's not a hard-to-undo decison; if you discover that you really need to have bm to send you can always start pumping again.

, mama!
    Thanks for the kind words! I think that I am ready to pack up the pump and celebrate too. I think the thing that I am having most difficult time with is that I'm not usually the one putting DD to bed. DH usually gives her breastmilk before bed, and I think that's what I'm having a hard time letting go of.

On the other hand, I just think nursing would be so much more rewarding if it was just "our" thing. Maybe I'll go to her 13 month bday and then pack up the pump.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    I nursing, but the day I packed up my pump was a celebratory one! It was hard, too, because sending bm made me feel like I was still caring for him when I wasn't there. On the other hand, he was completely fine eating solids until we were reunited, and then he'd nurse a lot. The nice thing is that you are NOT weaning, so it's not a hard-to-undo decison; if you discover that you really need to have bm to send you can always start pumping again.
    I completely agree with everything above... I was SO burned out on pumping, that when I did finally quit, it was so... freeing! Although I must admit, it was a little hard for me at first, just because I like "routine" and pumping was part of my daily "routine" so when I quit I almost felt like I was forgetting to do something?? But that soon wore off and I was completely overjoyed to just be able to nurse DD when we were together and not worry about having to lug the pump and all the pump stuff to work every day. It definitely re-energized my desire to just let her nurse as long as she wanted to, because everything became so EASY once I stopped pumping. (Just FYI, I stopped pumping when DD was about the same age as Rose is now.)

Have you tried out cow's milk on Rose yet, maybe in a sippy? If she drinks it ok, you could always still have DH give her some cow's milk in her bottle before bed, if she needs it. You might be surprised that she will still go to bed just fine for him, even if she doesn't have that bottle of milk (BM or CM.) What you *could* do is this... before you stop pumping, have your DH try putting her to bed one night without her usual bottle, and see how she does... If she throws a terrible fit, then he can just get the bottle out of the frig, but you never know... she might go to sleep just fine without it?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Buff, she does fine with cows milk out of a sippy cup. I was thinking about doing what you suggested about bedtime. I just need to pick a day to stop pumping. Maybe if I set a goal I'll be able to mentally prepare for it.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Buff, she does fine with cows milk out of a sippy cup. I was thinking about doing what you suggested about bedtime. I just need to pick a day to stop pumping. Maybe if I set a goal I'll be able to mentally prepare for it.
    Sounds like a great idea to me!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Momma - I'm feeling you....
    I'm in that situation now....DS will be a year in October and I really would love to get rid of the pump....Let us know how things go...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008