Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having enough bm for cereal

Talking Having enough bm for cereal

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I am dealing with my 4th child who is almost 6mos. So far she is either bf or taking a bottle of bm from a sitter. She is going through about 18oz of bm (3 6oz bottles) while I'm at work. Once she starts cereal (although I'm seeing many babies start on other things), I'm concerned I won't be able to pump enough for both bottle and mixing into her cereal so I had considered using formula just for the cereal. Anyone ever deal with this?

Default Re: Having enough bm for cereal

you could use juice or just use cold cereal that she can self feed.
    At what age would you like to start cereal?

If you're worried about not having milk, you could always start with avocado or sweet potato. Lots of nutrients.

The problem that *I* see with cereal and formula is that they both cause constipation in a lot of babies, so mixing them together might not be a great idea for a baby that is use to breastmilk
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    you could use juice or just use cold cereal that she can self feed.
    At what age would you like to start cereal?
    Well, the "popular" time is 6mos. I had called my ped to see what formula was recommended for a baby used to bm and they said "You can discuss this at the baby's 6 mos checkup" - of course, I'm concerned about intolerance to cow's milk based formula but I guess I wasn't even considering juice because of the unneccessary sugar. I suppose starting her on foods other than cereal is probably better. Cereal is pushed to encourage a baby to sleep better but I don't really care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    If you're worried about not having milk, you could always start with avocado or sweet potato. Lots of nutrients.

The problem that *I* see with cereal and formula is that they both cause constipation in a lot of babies, so mixing them together might not be a great idea for a baby that is use to breastmilk
    I see your point - she has at least 1-2 bm's a day. I just figured that if I'm going to mix cereal it would be with formula so she's not missing out on other nutrients she would normally be getting with breast milk but starting with other foods might be a better idea. Also, I was concerned that if I start off using breast milk and then have to switch to something else she'd refuse to eat it because she'd notice a taste difference, but I forget she'll be getting used to many different tastes with other foods.

My 6 month old has recently started solids. I played around with cereal and she didnt seem to care for it at all. So I have just held onto the box until a later date (So not as to waste it) and when she starts the different textures i may try it again then. You dont have to use breastmilk in it, you can use water and then add some bananas for a lil extra flavor if it seems bland? thats what i did with my first daughter at 9 mos.
    Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead, The Stealing of America, 1983

Children seldom misquote. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said. ~Author Unknown

My LO is about 6 1/2 months, almost 7 months now and we don't really give him any cereal actually - we started him on yams, and he's had acorn squash, avocado and green beans. He's only had cereal a few times at day care. He's done just fine with starting with "real" food purees. No cereal needed! Also - I just started out giving him one cube (I make my own baby food) a day. We're up to 2-3 cubes a day now, but he hasn't decreased his intake of breastmilk at all. So I suggest just offering regular food purees and skipping the cereal - that way you needn't worry about introducing formula.

you do not HAVE to do cereal. there are lots of other foods you can give for iron. but if you intend to do cereal, you can try mixing with water, and adding some fruit to it.. or just using a little juice and some fruit..
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling