Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about unweaning when new baby arrives?

Default Worried about unweaning when new baby arrives?

My 28 mth old self-weaned about 6 weeks ago. She asks for it occasionally but never follows thru with her request so I think she is really done. I am due in 9 weeks and worried about nursing around her. Obviously, I can't hide it but should I pick a different nursing spot than where we used to nurse? What should I do if she requests and actually seems to want it? I don't know if I am up to tandem nursing tho I was prepared to until she decided to stop on her own. Any have any advice for when the toddler stopped so close to the new baby arriving? Should I talk to her about it before the baby gets here? I have been afraid ot bring it up for fear that she will restart. She sees my friend nurse her baby and always watches them but never says a word. I don't for a second think that she has forgotten, she remembers everything. We even saw baby pigs at the county fair today and she announced loudly that they were nursing, lol!

Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Worried about unweaning when new baby arrives?

My LO#1 is a little older - he weaned at about 33 months and was a little over 37 months when LO#2 was born.

I did NOT want to tandem. In my case it was because LO#1 has multiple food allergies and I wanted to be able to eat some of the foods that he is allergic to.

To prepare #1 for the baby we read lots of books with him that showed babies and included nursing. We told #1 that he had "mommy milk" for a long long time and that "his" mommy milk was all gone and that when the baby came there would be new mommy milk just for the baby.

#1 has been very interested in watching #2 nurse and wants to help give #2 EBM in a bottle but hasn't really asked to nurse himself. I think I reminded #1 one time that "his" mommy milk was all gone and that this was baby's now.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My older son has asked occasionally, and he has been weaned almost a year! Just out of curiousity, I let him try once, and he didnt know what to do. He forgot how to nurse. He just laughed and walked away. I told him that the baby doesnt have teeth, and all that he can eat is milk where as he is big and has teeth and can eat lots of food like mom and dad. Might sound silly, but it seemed to work. My son was a bit older than yours when our new baby was born, but I think just talking to them and explaining that all babies do is nurse/sleep/cry/poop helps a lot. I think kids understand a lot more than we think!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

my last two babies were 2 years appart.
    My older one asked one time If he could nurse and I say no just for baby and he was fine with that.
    Lots of kids ask, try once or twice and are fine with being weaned they just want to know if they could do it again not that they realy need to nurse.

Even if your older one wants to nurse just set some good limits and stick with it don't think they need to nurse like a newborn. Its ok to say no!

Thanks for your replies, hopefully it will go well, I am just worried since she is young and it will only be a couple months since she weaned. Wish me luck!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

My oldest self weaned during my subsequent pregnancy just about a month before the new baby was born. He had no interest in nursing after that! So your experience may be similar, but it's really hard to say. I definitely think you should talk to her about it, since you will be spending so much time nursing the new baby. Dr Sears has a great book for kids that shows how the older siblings are growing up and explains how mommy needs to be with the new baby and how they can help. Nice nursing pictures in there too... it's called "What Baby Needs."

Julie