Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Air Travel with Stored Breastmilk (and without Baby)

Default Air Travel with Stored Breastmilk (and without Baby)

I have to travel for work 10 times a year, five times in Oct-Nov and five times in Mar-Apr. My fourth baby was born in May, but he's the first I've had with this job. On my first two trips in Oct, I'm going to be able to bring him with me, and on my last trip in Nov, DH is going to bring him and make a weekend out of it.

With the two trips in the middle, though, I'm going to be away for 2-3 days and pumping. I'd really like to bring the milk back. Any suggestions on how to do this?

I always check my bag, so I'd probably put the milk in there (no problems with security that way either). Anyone know of any products to keep it chilled for 12 hours or so (from the time I leave the hotel in the morning until I get home that evening) and stored in my suitcase?

What I'd really like is a bigger version of the storage bag I have in my PIS backpack... If I could find something like that, plus a larger ice pack (or two or three smaller ones), and larger bottles that fit the bag, that would be ideal. I've looked online, though, and I haven't been able to find anything like that. Any ideas?

(Crossposting on the pumping board...)
    Alicia
    Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl, ages 4 mos to 8 yrs
    Total breastfeeding time: 55 months and counting

Default Re: Air Travel with Stored Breastmilk (and without Baby)

I read not to pack it with ice since milk has a lower freezing temp than water and would actually warm it up. I think I read that in a LLL article.