Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm concerned she's not eating well anymore

Default I'm concerned she's not eating well anymore

This may be me just being paranoid or giving into peer pressure, but I thought I'd see what the ladies here thought.

My DD is 10.5 months. We started homemade purees with fresh vegetables and fruits from our local farmer's market at around 6-7 months along with bananas, sweet potato, and some other things. She ate those really well (although not large quantities) until about 2 weeks ago. Now she simply refuses the purees for the most part. She does love yogurt though. She's growing well, our pedi isn't concerned.

She gets some of whatever we are eating on her tray at meals, but generally just plays with it. She does love to chew/eat bread, pizza crust, doughy bread sticks, etc. Her diet is still 60-70% breastmilk, 30-40% formula (long story) and then very, very small amount of solids.

I guess I worry that I should try some jarred baby food to make sure she gets enough protein, etc. But then if she's not eating my purees, I can't imagine forcing her to eat jarred food. Also I took some advice I read here and tasted the one jar I bought and IT WAS GROSS! It smelled like turkey and gravy, but I can't even describe what it tasted because I have no culinary comparison. It was just really bad. She didn't like any more than I did! I'm scared to force her to eat anything she doesn't want because I want mealtimes to be pleasant experiences.

I suppose I'm giving into peer pressure because I worry that she's not eating like these "sample menus" I see everywhere. The ones that show them eating 1/2 cup fruit, 4-6 puree, 4-6 liquid at breakfast, something similar at lunch, then some gigantic amount of solids for dinner, with 3 snacks.

So, long story short, should I worry or just keep doing what I'm doing?

Thanks!

Default Re: I'm concerned she's not eating well anymore

Well first don't worry about food AT ALL until well after a year. Really. It for experimenting right now, they can't even absorb a large amount of nutrients and stuff in foods like adults can anyway.
    Are you looking to wean from breastmilk to formula at the stroke of midnight when she's a year? If not, then just keep doing your own thing.

My LO would NEVER eat puree's. I can't really say that I blame him. He always just ate the unseasoned whole versions of what we ate. He's 3 and he still likes to do this. So if we're eating broccoli with cheese, a baked potato and lemon pepper chicken I'd give him a couple pieces of steamed broccoli/chuck of potato and set aside some plain chicken.

The thing is he might eat only the veggie for a few days then maybe some of the protein and he always ate carbs. It's much better to think of her WEEKLY intake rather than a daily. You'll make yourself crazy, especially with a toddler.

It's your job to set out good healthy foods for her, it's her job to decide what she eats!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    Well first don't worry about food AT ALL until well after a year. Really. It for experimenting right now, they can't even absorb a large amount of nutrients and stuff in foods like adults can anyway.
    Just keep offering what you do. Maybe try cutting back on some of the formula to make space for fruits and veggies...that plus breastmilk is all they need right now.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Any number of things could be causing this but the bottom line is that there's nothing to worry about at this point. Previous poster had a good point, solids are just for practice and fun at this age, and if she is still nursing well and chewing on some solids then it's probably just one of those strange little things that babies do! She is getting enough protein from formula/bm; there isn't much that is as protein- and calorie- dense!

A few thoughts on why she might be refusing purees, just for fun:
    Maybe she's teething and the more acidic food irritates her gums.
    Maybe she got bumped in the mouth by a spoon and she doesn't like them anymore.
    Maybe she is so excited by chunkier/chewier food that she doesn't want to bother with purees.
    Maybe she is going through a developmental change (physical or cognitive) and this is expressing itself in eating behaviors.
    Maybe she only wants to feed herself.

Well, since she'll take yogurt, maybe some of these don't work, but my point is that any number of things can make a baby lose interest in certain foods and it's hardly ever a concern. There is such wide variation in what babies eat, too. Those sample feeding charts are usually put out by the baby food manufacturers, remember. My first was only mildly interested in food for about his first 15 months; I remember a baby food jar would usually last for a couple days! And now my second (at 10 mos) will eat anything I put in front of her (and I see it in the diaper the next day, largely unchanged).

Sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in worry for your child's diet--talk about one of the most basic biological imperatives! You gotta feed that kid! But babies really will take what they need if given healthy options.
    Tina
    LLL Leader

By 10.5 months so many babies are wanting to self feed. And there is really no reason to do purees. My DD of the same age doesn't eat much but what she does eat is chunks of foods. She is also growing better than she has in the past, which is nice.

Thanks for the reassurances! I guess I should just take a deep breath and relax, but then I'm sure I'll find something else to worry about....lol.

I hadn't thought much about things going on around her affecting her, but she does have a new baby sitter. Even though she seems to love the new sitter, I'm sure the changes are enough to disrupt some of her habits. Plus we had a interim sitter for 2 weeks between our summer sitter and fall sitter. She's also become MUCH more active in that she's more independent crawling around and learning to walk hanging onto our hands.

I guess also that babies survived for thousands of years without jarred baby food and "sample menus". They just ate what their parents ate and got breastmilk. I guess I just see all these parents who are so proud their children were completely weaned by 6 months and eat 4-6 jars of baby food a day and I feel a little out of place. Last night we had leftovers and "breakfast" she got tomato wedges, eggs, bread, baked potato, and cheese. She chewed on everything, ate the bread, then threw the rest on the floor (which she obviously thinks is great fun).

I plan to breastfeed her for awhile longer, at least through the winter months when she needs immunity help the most (She's never been sick! No colds, fevers, diarrhea! Ever!). I do have some friends who cut their daughter off from breastfeeding cold turkey on her one year birthday! I just can't imagine doing that to my baby, especially since she loves nursing so much!

I'll see what else I can find to worry about now! The more I wander around these boards, the more I know I'm probably only the right track!
    Thanks, Ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blsmom View Post
    I guess I just see all these parents who are so proud their children were completely weaned by 6 months and eat 4-6 jars of baby food a day and I feel a little out of place.
    Don't worry about the other parents, just have the personal satisfaction that you are giving your baby the best nutrition far better than any jar or bottle
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby