Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby nurses only a few minutes at a time.

Default Re: Baby nurses only a few minutes at a time.

I have the same problem. Sometimes she'll nurse for 20 minutes, but we fight the whole time. She's pulling off, making a face like she has to burp. I try to burp her for a few minutes and she starts fighting so bad I have to give the breast back. Sometimes she stiffens up her body or she won't open her mouth big enough to get the whole nipple in. I spray almost every time she pulls off the breast at the beginning of a feeding. She gets the hiccups a lot after feedings. Sometimes she is asleep and then as soon as I lay her down on her back she starts making uncomfortable noises. As soon as I get her up she calms down and will usually hiccup or burp a few times. Then it takes her a while to calm down and go to sleep. Does this sound like OALD? Any ideas on what to do? Some nights are better than others, but it often causes me to lose a lot of sleep.

In response to the pp some of the things you have described have to do with OALD. Sometimes you wil even hear the baby gulping. They often pull off to prevent too much milk from choking them. The crying whwn being put down could be several things. She may just want you back and to have you hold her. I have several friends with children who have reflux. If they are flat on their backs to soon after a feeding they experience discomfort.

Sorry I forgot to say that in my case of OALD I also experience leaking milk from the opposite breast. Whenever my DS pulls off and cries everyone gets hit. At a LLL meeting on Sunday I was talking and didn't look down when he pulled off. I ended up spraying him in the ear.

Default Good news

Good news. Last night was a lot better. She did have one period of time that she cried and was in pain with the burping. I'd been giving her mylocin drops to help with the gas but one time last night I forgot to give them before her feeding. She actually had LESS gas to get out and she went to sleep much better. I don't know if the mylocin causes more gas to come up or what but she's been doing better without the drops.
    Also, I got a sleep positioner so she can stay on her side sleeping. This makes it so she can get that spit up out if she has to during her sleep and she gets less gas coming up after I lay her down because she stays in that position. Hopefully she continues to do this well.

Default Re: Good news

I am so happy for both of you that she is doing better. Keep posting if you come up with any advice I sure could use it.

Thanks to this forum, I just recently found out that I have an OALD problem. My baby shovels out the dirties like crazy though, and has gained weight well, so I am not so stressed. I understand how it feels though- I feel terrible every time she gets upset at the breast. She cries, squirms, arches, rejects, chokes, coughs, clicks, fusses, all of it. So far the best thing for us has been to allow the milk to squirt into a burp cloth until the flow slows, then let her latch back on and I'll recline to where her head and throat are above the level of my nipple. I can't wait until she gets a bit bigger and can handle the rapid release

Good luck to you!

Yes thanks I think I have that oald also but I don't spray milk I just leak often and I want to try the block feeding but I don't want to risk loosing my milk supply can that happen? I really want to be able to nurse till my DS is 1 or till the first tooth. Does anyone think this block feeding a good thing for me to do?

I was just reading a great thread under the oversupply section. The people who posted had great info. Check it out.

It's interesting that so many people have this problem. I think my body is regulating itself to how she eats more now though because I don't squirt so much and she hasn't choked or gulped as much during feedings lately.