Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby nurses only a few minutes at a time.

Default Baby nurses only a few minutes at a time.

Hi everyone ! I am new here. I am looking for some advice on how to get my son to nurse for longer periods. My son will be 8 weeks this Saturday. He has been difficult to nurse. My daughter was premature and I pumped exclusively because of her poor suck. I think after two years of pumping my body makes a great deal of milk. I have been block feeding for several weeks now in order to give him some more of the hindmilk. I just worry about reducing my milk supply. My son nurses only for a minute or two then he pulls off and cries. He spends several hours a day crying. We repeat this all day and night. His doctor worried because he is gaining well. He was born at 4lb 15oz and he weighs 10 pounds now. When he does nurse well he seems content but it happens so rarely. Does anyone have advice?

Default Re: Baby nurses only a few minutes at a time.

Congratulations on your new little one, and welcome to the forum!

You say that you believe you have a great deal of milk ... do you think that you could have an oversupply that your son is having a hard time keeping up with? Babies dealing with an oversupply will typically gain weight very rapidly as yours has, and will fuss and cry when your milk lets down if you have an overactive let down. Does milk spray when he comes off the breast? Maybe take a look at these helpful pages and see if anything rings a bell for you, then post back and we'll all go from there.

Am I making too much milk?

Oversupply and OALD

My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

Regarding oversupply and overactive let down LLL's page says the following:

"When a mother has more milk than her baby can handle, the following behaviors may be common:

Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless
    Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast
    Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding
    Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding
    Mother may have sore nipples
    Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming
    Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off
    Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total
    Baby may seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast
    Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot
    Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools
    Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time
    Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis (breast infection)

If many of these experiences seem familiar to you, it may be because you have an overabundant supply of milk, which can cause a forceful milk ejection (sometimes referred to as overactive let-down), and/or foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. The infant behaviors described above are caused by these issues but may frequently be misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux, or hypertonicity (stiff muscle tone)."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Our DD also nursed for few minutes only and I was worried too. But one of the peds (we goto group of peds) told me that as long as she is gaining weight theres no problem. I didnt know at that time but after reading/going through some sites I realised that I had problem of forceful letdown. DD use to fuss at breasts but only during evenings . Feeding her lying down with her up on me helped us a lot.

Even now, at 7 months age, she gasps sometimes but now she is able to take that amount (I guess )

It definately sounds like OALD. But if he's gaining well I wouldn't worry too much about it....If he's gaining and diaper out put is what it's supposed to be than he's dealing w/it. My sonat some point started popping off in anticipation of the strong let down and began "clicking" as a way of controlling the milk flow on his own...it sound like your baby is getting what he needs!

Hi...I agree with the other pp. I think you probalby have a forceful letdown. I had the same problem as well. DS would suck suck suck and come off and cry...then suck suck suck and the come off and cry. This game went on for what felt like forever. I found laying down to nurse him helped a lot. What also saved us sometimes was when I would lay on my back and he would lay on my tummy and nurse that way. It took a little time to master, but it helped him calm down with nursing.

I agree with your block feeding technique. I also had to use that technique. It did not decrease my supply, but I made sure to change sides after maximum 3 hours. I hope this helps a bit. A strong letdown is not something that we can really control. But I can tell you that for a long time now my DS (5 months) loves it and manages quite well!!!

Let us know if the tummy technique works!!!

Thank you all for responding to my post. I am sorry I did not respond earlier but my son has been inconsolable all day. Thank you for all the advice on OALD I think a lot of it applies to our situation. Even thouggh he is gaining well my DH and I realized the baby rarely is awake without screaming. I don't know if he has reflux or colic. I just wish I could help him. He seems to be in pain. I am going to take him back to the doctor on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMama
    Thank you all for responding to my post. I am sorry I did not respond earlier but my son has been inconsolable all day. Thank you for all the advice on OALD I think a lot of it applies to our situation. Even thouggh he is gaining well my DH and I realized the baby rarely is awake without screaming. I don't know if he has reflux or colic. I just wish I could help him. He seems to be in pain. I am going to take him back to the doctor on Monday.
    Let us know how it goes! Here is some information on reflux to look over in the mean time (I always find it helps me to be well informed before meeting with my pediatrician):

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
    Reflux in the Breastfed Baby
    LLL on Reflux

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

You are absolutely right. Information is essential. Thank you so much.

what is block feeding?

Block feeding is nursing from one breast for multiple feedings until that breast is empty as opposed to offering both breasts in one feeding. It is a method used to decrease supply and control over-active let-down. Does that help?