Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We Introduced Milk Today

Default We Introduced Milk Today

We introduced homogenized milk today. LO is 11.5 months and is going to daycare in 2.5 weeks. We wanted to have her introduced to milk and okay with it before she goes into daycare.

She liked it! We gave her about 4 oz. in her sippy cup (cold from the fridge) while we were eating dinner and she drank about 3 oz. of it. She was up for another 2 hours before bedtime, no problems at all. So I'm hoping that this will go smoothly.

For those who give milk - how much do you give per day? Should I just give it with meals for the next few days until we're sure that she doesn't have a reaction? Should I replace her nap nursing with milk before she goes to daycare? If so, when? I want to make her transition to daycare as easy as possible for her (even if it is breaking my heart ).
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: We Introduced Milk Today

Glad to see she had no adverse reaction to it
    If it were me though, I'd probably wait a couple days before giving it again. But that's just because my boys have both had dairy allergies, so if I had a third and s/he was fine with it at first, I'd wait to make sure there's no GI symptoms (diarrhea, or otherwise weird poop) before giving it again. Our doctor told us that Liam only needed 10oz a day of milk, but I've read that some mama's don't give cow's milk at all, and their babies are fine (as long as they're getting enough fat and VitD in their diets). So knowing what I know now, I'd probably just give it at dinner, and maybe lunch. But that's just me
    I also would probably still nurse at naptimes, unless you plan on weaning anyway. I think she'll probably do a lot better than you will with the transition, so try not to worry. You're a good mama for planning all this out ahead of time.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

She had milk again today with dinner. No problems yet. Although she didn't drink as much as yesterday. I think it was just because yesterday it was new. A couple more days and I think we're in the clear!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Be prepared for her poos to change pretty significantly. They most likely will after a few days.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Be prepared for her poos to change pretty significantly. They most likely will after a few days.
    Uh oh. Adding meat to her solids made them pretty horrible. Different is doable, but I can't see them getting any worse.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Uh oh. Adding meat to her solids made them pretty horrible. Different is doable, but I can't see them getting any worse.
    Not worse...just different. Nolie's became more yellow (almost looked like BM poo again but not seedy), looser, and A LOT. oh...and stinky. It went back to "normal" after about 4-5 days.
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; September 19th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Not worse...just different. Nolie's became more yellow (almost looked like BM poo again but with not seedy), looser, and A LOT. oh...and stinky. It went back to "normal" after about 4-5 days.
    I dunno if her poops can get any more stinky. She's already made us dry heave on multiple occasions.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I dunno if her poops can get any more stinky. She's already made us dry heave on multiple occasions.
    yeah...they'll be stinky. really stinky. Sorry. But only for a few days!

And damn..you quoted me before I fixed my typo!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

is toddler still nursing?
    If they are nursing 3-4 times well in 24 hours they don't need milk subs.

WE don't drink alot of cows milk here but I do cook with it from time to time and they do eat yougart and cheese.

Dr sears has some great info on his web site about milk

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp

Yes, she's still nursing, about 5 times a day. I suspect that it will drop to only 3 - 4 times once I go back to work. Neither my family or DH's family has a history of milk allergies or intolerance. As the article you posted stated, it's still a great nutritional food, all packed into one. With the decreased nursing and if we don't develop any reactions, I'm comfortable with giving milk.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and